Any motor heads out there?

ants

I have an 08 Nissan Titan..It needs a rear axle seal (passenger side side). I brought it over to Goodyear the other day to have it fixed. They called me back and told me that its so rusted that they can't get the thing apart to fix it. They said that they bent their slide hammer trying to get it apart and stopped because they were afraid they would break something.. Any little tricks out there? or should I think about trading the mighty Titan in??? 120,000+ miles and still runs like new…I hate to get rid of it ,but Im not about to crawl under there once or twice a week to check the rear dif fluid, knowing that it will just get worse....

I'm not 100 percent sure what I'm looking at as never worked on a Titan...but if you want to do it and don't want to get rid of truck use a Dremel and very carefully cut a piece out of seal to release pressure then use a slide hammer and a touch of heat should come out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2016 at 9:38 PM, ants said:

I have an 08 Nissan Titan..It needs a rear axle seal (passenger side side). I brought it over to Goodyear the other day to have it fixed. They called me back and told me that its so rusted that they can't get the thing apart to fix it. They said that they bent their slide hammer trying to get it apart and stopped because they were afraid they would break something.. Any little tricks out there? or should I think about trading the mighty Titan in??? 120,000+ miles and still runs like new…I hate to get rid of it ,but Im not about to crawl under there once or twice a week to check the rear dif fluid, knowing that it will just get worse....

Sorry to get back so late to this.......I just talked to my BIL, he said he bought the biggest slide hammer Harbor Freight had and then ADDED a 20 or 25 pound weight (dumb bell/barbell type) to the shaft and used THAT to pull the axle out.  He said he had to really reef on the thing to get it out.

After it came out, he then had to use a Dremel to get a groove cut in the seal/bearing and then beat it out with a chisel and hammer.

I didn't pay enough attention to what he was saying but he alluded to replacing a couple cages (?) on each (?) axle along with the bearings which he took to a machine shop to be pressed on.  Also, make sure you replace some kind of breather valve/vent that helps the rear end breath.  He said if that is plugged (he's 100% sure that is what causes the seals to blow out) you'll just be doing the seal again, soon.

One more thing......you really should do both sides at the same time as he said the other side is probably stressed for the above reasons. :(

(the above was NOT checked for accuracy as I'm tired, overweight and need a beer)

• Like 1

Screw it….I traded it in on a 14 Dodge Ram.. I made the deal yesterday and I pick up the new truck in the morning…. .. It only has 8K on it with the remainder of the 6 year, 100K warranty.  I hate to get rid of the Mighty Titan,,,but its time….Trade in on my Titan was 7000 to 9400, I got 8250,,,, I know I could have sold it out right for a lot more….They came down a little on the Dodge( after a little pissing match….LOL) I just came in from cleaning out  the old Titan…sucks ,,I really wish I could keep it but it just needs too much work...... it is what it is..

Edited by ants
  • Like 1