Affordable lead free ammo

ATbuckhunter

Federal has come out with affordable lead free rifle ammo for 4 popular cartridges. I know many people have not tried lead free because of the price, but these are only slightly more expensive than regular bullets like core lokt. If these would have been around last year i would have bought a few boxes of them instead of 3 of Barnes vortx. If anyone in interested I suggest you take a look at it. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Federal-Power-Shok-Copper-Rifle-Ammunition/2302632.uts

• Like 1

Not available in 7mm-08 and only 150 grain in .308.  When using copper bullets, you need to go lighter to avoid a longer bullet that may not shoot well from your rifle.  

I am not sure these have the bullet grooves, or bands around the bullet body, which copper bullets need to lessen friction and keep the bore from getting fouled with copper.

Price is reasonable, but it comes with the rebate for now.  After that it's still 50% more then standard ammo.

2 hours ago, Padre86 said:

I just picked up some copper 150 gr Hunting rounds from Federal.   I'll see how they do at the range later this week.  I would like to find some heavier bullets to test out as well.  Anyone know what the upper weight limit is for .308 copper rounds?

The problem with copper bullets is they are LONGER than lead bullets of equal weight.  Longer bullets require a faster twist rate in the barrel to stabilize them.  If your barrel doesn't have a fast twist rate, they will not shoot well.  There are other issues too, like how much length you have in the throat of the guns chamber before the bullet hits the rifling (Called lead as in leader) and what overall length your magazine can accept.  Copper bullets of a lesser weight are usually used when switching from lead.  If you used 180 grain lead bullets, the 150 grain copper bullets would be what you should switch to.  Then try 130 grain and see what you get.  Remember, what the bullet does on targets is not what copper bullets are best known for.  What they do on the animal is what's important.

The problem with copper bullets is they are LONGER than lead bullets of equal weight.  Longer bullets require a faster twist rate in the barrel to stabilize them.  If your barrel doesn't have a fast twist rate, they will not shoot well.  There are other issues too, like how much length you have in the throat of the guns chamber before the bullet hits the rifling (Called lead as in leader) and what overall length your magazine can accept.  Copper bullets of a lesser weight are usually used when switching from lead.  If you used 180 grain lead bullets, the 150 grain copper bullets would be what you should switch to.  Then try 130 grain and see what you get.  Remember, what the bullet does on targets is not what copper bullets are best known for.  What they do on the animal is what's important.

One advantage of copper is you don't need 180gr to get the same performance out of copper. 150gr is what's suggested if you used 180gr lead. I use 180gr out of my 06 and have never had a deer run more then 30 yards, with most dropping on the spot. I don't doubt that performance on earlier cooper bullets left a lot to be desired, but now a days it's a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I were planning on using 180gr (.308) lead bullets to take something like a black bear, a 150gr copper bullet should suffice as an alternative?

And then does that mean if I've been using 150gr SP lead bullets for deer, I would be good to use something like a 120gr copper bullet (not sure if anyone makes something like that)?

So if I were planning on using 180gr (.308) lead bullets to take something like a black bear, a 150gr copper bullet should suffice as an alternative?

And then does that mean if I've been using 150gr SP lead bullets for deer, I would be good to use something like a 120gr copper bullet (not sure if anyone makes something like that)?

Those grains would be more than sufficient. That doesn't mean the same weight won't shoot as good if not better than the bullets you once used. Pygmy would know more about this than me.

I would just stick to 150's for both, the only 120gn copper .308 bullets I have found are designed for the ar .308's "300bo, 30ar etc" these are bullets designed to work at a much slower velocity than a 308. Black bear not deer are hard to kill and a 150gn bullet lead or copper has everything needed for the task.

Getting off topic, I know, but I had heard that a heavier grain bullet (for .308 at least) was needed for black bear due to the fat and muscle on their bodies.  I normally use 150gr SP's for deer, though I realize that some here might consider that somewhat of an overkill.  

Are 150gr's, lead or copper, sufficient for taking black bears in upstate NY?  Perusing Federal's website, they were recommending bullets ranging from 160gr to 180gr, depending on the range.

Black bear are not that hard to kill.  A .308 using any 150 grain bullet is more than adequate for the job.  A 150 grain copper bullet will penetrate better than a soft point lead bullet of the same weight.  I find the 150 grain lead bullet to be optimum in a .308 Win round.  It is even more effective if it's a copper bullet.  You will probably see a complete pass through on a black bear with a 150 grain .308 bullet made from copper.  That's helpful in giving you a better blood trail, as black bear do not bleed like deer and two holes in the bear are better than one.

BTW, the length of the 150 gr copper bullet is about the same length as the 165 grain lead bullet.  That should not require a faster twist rate in your barrel and accuracy should be equal, or better, than what you get now from lead bullets.

Getting off topic, I know, but I had heard that a heavier grain bullet (for .308 at least) was needed for black bear due to the fat and muscle on their bodies.  I normally use 150gr SP's for deer, though I realize that some here might consider that somewhat of an overkill.  

Are 150gr's, lead or copper, sufficient for taking black bears in upstate NY?  Perusing Federal's website, they were recommending bullets ranging from 160gr to 180gr, depending on the range.

Yes 150gn is more than sufficient. I would stay away from a ballistic tip and stay with something that isn't going to expand as rapidly.

My suggestion is to find a bullet that you like and that shoots well and use it for deer and bear. It will make life way easier and less confusing.