Welsley island fish??

BigVal

Hi guys I'm going on a trip all next week to welsley island and am wondering if anyone ever had any success on eyes in the area? I got a few two years ago but nothing consistent. I'll have my boat with the ability to do any type of fishing but always prefer eyes lol. If not any good tips on other types of fish?

I went last year and it was just dead. None of the trenches/holes were holding anything. Shore shelves were also kind of dead.  It was just a bad weekend for us.

I DID, however, catch this bad boy while sitting around a camp fire drinking at around 11pm.  Dragged my pole about 20 ft into the water before I could catch it.  If you are fishing from shore (north side of state park), it stays kinda shallow for about 20 ft, then drops off.  Try to cast out past 20'.

20150605_151653.jpg

• Like 1

While bass fishing up there earlier this summer, I caught a couple (24" and 27") on a drift a few miles downstream of Wellsley island, out in the main channel on the US side, in front of goose bay.  I never target walleyes, but have caught a few others by accident up there over the years, mostly in that same area.  This was the first time with two in less than 15 minutes however, so maybe their population is up a bit.   They were in 28 and 30 ft depth, on the edge of a a narrow shoal, which rose to within 5 ft of the surface and dropped off to over 60 ft deep on each side.  The smallmouth were fewer, but bigger than normal this year (stuffed from round gobbies I suppose).   The walleyes also looked to be fat and well fed.   I hope you knock the heck out of them to make room for more bass.