Can deer see the red IR light? Yes, I googled before asking!

Core

The question has been raised many times: Why do some deer clearly notice a trail camera firing off? Are they attracted to its noise? The smell? Can they see the faint red glow on [these days] less expensive cameras?

So I googled, but a lot of threads are from years back, and I know the understanding of deer continues to grow. Most mid and high end cameras now have "black" flashes so that at least a human being can't see the IR emitter. There are definitely videos online of deer staring intently if not outright worried at a camera filming them, but they could be concerned with the sound of the IR filter, not the IR itself. 

Does anybody know if this question has been conclusively settled by an actual scientific study of deer vision?

I have no clue about any conclusive studies, but I do have a few of my own personal observations that may be even more valuable than science! :mda:

No matter what type of "flash" camera you use, you need to look at your day time images to see if the deer are noticing your cam when it's NOT flashing first of all.

If they know it's there during the day, they also know it's there at night.

Your IR filter should only flip one time when it transitions from light to dark, and one time from dark to light. Check those first pics at those times to let you know if they are hearing the filter flap.

Camera location (height and/or concealment), scent left on the camera or in the area while setting up, and straight lines from straps and camera edges are all dead giveaways that aid deer in picking out cams. Break up those solid lines with brush, sticks, and leaves if you believe that could be an issue.

Positioning your cam so deer aren't gazing directly into any flash when it goes off will also help conceal your cams location remain undetected. Don't set them facing straight up a trail where a deer will walk into it, instead hang them off the trails edge angling them in the expected approach direction.

There is never going to be scientific proof that is definitive because deer have dispositions just like humans, animals, and birds.

Deer can be attracted, not bothered, or scared by the sight of the camera body, the sight of the IRs/flash, the smell of the cam body (many Chinese lines use fish oil as the release agent), or the sounds of the mechanical parts of the camera.

My personal preference is that blackflash is the best option for a hunter looking to reduce mature buck avoidance. That said there are others who get nice old bucks on incandescent bulb flash cams.

I suggest that you decide what your goal is with the photos or vids and let that be your deciding factor. If you are hunting older bucks and want intel/inventory information only and not caring about frameworthy pics to post online, just go with a legit blackflash camera (not one with just a black array cover). If you want bright vids at night and also want intel, but not necessarily concerned with possibly boogering off an older buck, get red IR. If color night pics are a must, then get a whiteflash. It really is that simple.

• Like 1