Our "Leaders"

I normally do not post in this section, but the following are hunting/fishing related ovservations.

Our governor just got ticketed for fishing a thresher shark (I think that's the species) that is on the downcline and listed as in danger else where (not in ny).  Forgot what the ticket was actually for but the bottom line was our anti-hunting governor has no problem abusing wild life, when pursuing his own passion fishing.  Guess the privileged are truly privileged!!

The second is a DEC announcement that came today encouraging people to buy their hunting and fishing licenses at the fair.  Guess what?  Our NEW commissioner of the DEC is getting his FIRST HUNTING LICENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How the "h" did our governor appoint a DEC commissioner who has never hunted or held a hunting license before?

Guess social and environmental justice (whatever that's supposed to mean) are more important than the states wildlife.  WE pay, and the money goes to inner cities.  Welfare at its finest!!!!

• Like 1

cuomo was not ticketed.  Antis were upset that he caught a shark but he did nothing illegal and received no ticket.  

There is more to the dec than just hunting/fishing.  So i wouldnt bash the guy just yet since he doesnt hunt.  Once he starts messing up ,if he does, then its fair game. 

Edited by diplomat019

The majority of the DEC budget is basically financed by hunting and fishing revenue plus Pittman Robertson funds so personally I would prefer to have a person with a horse in the race when it comes to the DEC commissioner.

Al

Edited by airedale

29 minutes ago, airedale said:

The DEC is basically financed by hunting and fishing revenue plus Pittman Robertson funds so personally I would prefer to have a person with a horse in the race when it comes to the DEC commissioner.

Al

I was trying to find where the dec budget comes from but couldnt find it

Just cause the man doesnt hunt doesnt mean he cant do his job up to par   Id rather someone who hunts as well but if the guy does his job thenwhat else could you ask for?   The guy might surprise you   You never know

38 minutes ago, airedale said:

The majority of the DEC budget is basically financed by hunting and fishing revenue plus Pittman Robertson funds so personally I would prefer to have a person with a horse in the race when it comes to the DEC commissioner.

Al

Not even close....

DEC budget is well over a billion (!) a year

About 42 Million from license sales both resident and non resident (and is dropping last several years)

This always comes up....DEC is not a fish and game department, its just a small piece of the whole.

17 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

I was trying to find where the dec budget comes from but couldnt find it

Just cause the man doesnt hunt doesnt mean he cant do his job up to par   Id rather someone who hunts as well but if the guy does his job thenwhat else could you ask for?   The guy might surprise you   You never know

https://www.budget.ny.gov/pubs/executive/eBudget1617/agencyPresentations/appropData/EnvironmentalConservationDepartmentof.html

Just a starting point for salaries.....lots and lots to follow down the rabbit hole if you start poking around.

42 million from licence sales plus another 26 million from Pittman-Robertson funds and Sport Fish Restoration, I would not call 68 million chump change. 

New York state is receiving $17.7 million in Pittman-Robertson federal funds in fiscal 2016, a total that’s down from last year’s record $20.8 million.

The Pittman-Robertson funds, also known as Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration monies, are generated from an 11 percent excise tax on firearms (10 percent on handguns), ammunition, archery equipment and arrow components.

The state received an additional $8.1 million in Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration (also known as Dingell-Johnson or Wallop-Breaux) funds. Those monies come from excise taxes on fishing equipment, motorboat and small engine fuels, import duties, and interest.

Not to mention what Outdoor sportsmen spend in the state.

DiNapoli: With 2 Million People Fishing and Hunting in the State, New York Ranks Third Nationwide

Residents and Visitors Spent $5 Billion on Sporting Activities

Fishing and hunting bring a stream of cash to New York’s economy, generating the second-highest expenditures in any state at approximately $5 billion, supporting local businesses and jobs across the state, according to a report released today by State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli.

• Like 1

NY also doesn't spend all the P-R funds we are allocated.....Just sayin'.

And 68 million on 1.3 billion is 5%

Just on the Environmental Protection Fund increase, from mostly fines, is more....69 million

Not a Cuomo fan.

Just like facts and figures.

What "we" should really be bitchin' about is why all the ABC soup of advisory boards is run like a good ol' boys network and why private clubs get P-R monies and only have to open to the public on limited services for single days here and there; and get to charge a fee.

• Like 1

Guess I should cut the guy a break and see what he does, after all he went to the same law school I did.

From the DEC site:

Basil Seggos is the Commissioner of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Previously, Basil served as both Deputy Secretary for the Environment and Assistant Secretary for the Environment to Governor Cuomo, advising the Governor on environmental policy and overseeing the operations of the state's environmental agencies, including the DEC, the Office of Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation, the Environmental Facilities Corporation, and the Adirondack Park Agency.

Prior to working in the Governor's office, Basil served as Vice President of Business Development at the clean-tech private equity company Hugo Neu Corporation, Chief Investigator and Attorney at Riverkeeper, Associate at the Natural Resources Defense Council, and as a legal clerk at the White House.

Basil graduated from Pace Law School in 2001, where he received the environmental law award and alumni achievement award, and from Trinity College in 1996 with a Bachelor of Arts. Basil is a Captain in the U.S. Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General's Corps."

I had thought he was one of those NYC environmental justice lawyers.

Guess I should get my facts straight before sounding off.

Edited by Jaeger