Fall has issued in...

growalot

A cool front with a very refreshing fog...I have been out gathering squash and seed corn...A welcome relief.

This is the year of saving seed...so I left a bunch of corn and beans to dry...I have been gathering melon seeds and will the pumpkin and squash seeds as well...This is what I picked today...I gave 6 acorns to the mail lady,5 to the kids and left 15% of them in the food  plot /garden..Really a wheel barrel of acorn, one of butternut and at least one for the blue Hubbard I still need to pick...how much squash can 2 people eat!....My Dr. will think I'm jaundice  my next appointment...lol

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

They stay in vine until the stem is rock hard...then brushed off and I hauled them in the house in a laundry basket....filled the tub with luke warm water and just a touch of bleach, to kill bacteria and fungus on skin and stems. A scrubby to clean each one individually rinse in cold water towel dried. I then store them on wire racks in a dark cool corner of the basement...they last 3-4 months sometimes longer...acorns are done ,getting ready to do the butternuts, the Blue Hubbard last the longest. If for some reason they do not last as long as needed I will take up the freezer void from using other foods  and makes soups to freeze for quick meals...We love a good squash soup on a cold day.

The corn will get strung on a line for air space and hung over the basement dehumidifier to dry down...so I can then store the seed for spring planting.

Edited by growalot