Tree id

rachunter

pete thanks for the video. unfortunately i don't have any oak or hickory on my property.i've read that chestnuts where a common tree here until the blite wiped them out.if i planted them would that still be an issue.i'm looking to ad tree that will produce nuts in a few years.   

They have come up with hybrid chestnut that supposedly are blight resistant.  You will have to research where you may find those.  Do you have any other trees besides beech?  You can send me pictures if you aren't sure the species.  It is always good to work with what you have.  if you do any planting, remember to plant them in full sunlight.  A lot of guys will do their plantings in the understory, in full shade.  That makes it hard for a sapling to take hold.  Not sure what part of the state you live in.  Oak is a good bet.  i know some guys plant pin oak because they say it produces seed more quickly.  Just remember that oak plantings get browsed by deer.  And bucks, for some reason, absolutely love to rub their antlers on freshly planted trees.  So you have to use those tubes or otherwise wrap the trunk to protect them until they grow bigger.

• Like 1

Dunstun Chestnuts and several ppl here are growing them...I  can link the company later,it will list where they are sending trees to NYS Walmarts each spring,saving shipping cost. When using tubes You also want to use a ring of wire fencing or a netting over the top of tube...they will snap off the tops once they grow out of the tubes onther wise.  They also have American chestnut seedlings they have been developing that are resistant not sure if they are out for general public yet. Chinese chestnuts are fast growers but totally different growth. Shorter and very wide growth.

Depending on where you are you can try gobbler oaks,hazel nuts,which I grow, hazel produce yearly and are eaten so fast I rarely get a chance to harvest them for us. Then there is the Appalachian chapikin(spelling??). 

I can't link from kindle..Will put links up for you later if you'd like

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 1:04 PM, growalot said:

Again Pete, I thought I was specific... We have 200 red oaks ...there are no white oaks on our place...ZERO, what I said was, some of the lower branched leafs are rounded on these reds with the REST of them all looking like normal red oak leafs. These are not the best examples...by far.... but these are the ones I have near the house with low enough leafs to get pics of...Yes pointed but rounder that the natural cut leaf of these oaks. Not all young oaks are like this. Many, the leafs are all "normal" and some have mixed leafs of no points with the pointed cut leaf.

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

Growalot,  The other day I was working in a stand of black oak and I thought about this message board exchange we had last year.  You were describing oaks with a red oak leaf but rounder.  I thought you were talking about a white oak leaf (that has rounded fringes).  Now I realize that you have black oak on your land mixed with the red oak.  A black oak leaf is weighted more towards the tip, like in your first picture.  Is that what you were talking about?

• Like 1