Getting everything out

Buck_shooter

• 2 months later...

I use a Cabelas Alaskan frame Pack.  I think mine is the model 1.

Maybe I get ahead of myself,  but If I am going in and out the same route, I usually bring it in a ways, then hide it.

I bring a pair of lopping shears, 2 ratchet straps, a disposable tarp, gloves, knives, a headlamp, some rope and a few garbage bags to put the meat in.

IF the deer is big, I take the front legs, straps, neck meat, and head.  I go back for the hind section.  I hang it up in a tree with the rope, so coyote cant get to it.  I put the hind legs a bit upwind of the gut pile if possible.

That frame pack is wonderful for making remote food plots too.  I use it to move stuff in and out the woods like climbing stands.  I put a kitchen garbage can on it and use it for carry traps in and out.  I bought a 4 section 12ft portable ladder stand for hunting PA forests.

Edited by sailinghudson25

I only have a half mile and it is steep both here and camp. When the 4 wheeler went to camp with the guys and before the tractor. I would,still do, find a natural dip in the landscape,or a large down fall and tuck the deer in or against it.  Then cover with leafs or my jacket. Carry my gun, climber to the house. I would then drive the road to lowest spot possible and park along our property...go in and drag as much down hill as possible to vehicle. Even if it meant a longer drag. At camp it was a long angled drag across the hill increasing elevatation slowly as I went...sleds are great...but if you have a safety harness on ,tiring it up properly a long drags not that big a deal..with lots of bottled water and not to many outer clothes on. All heavy clothes are left at home before I go back out,even in cold weather. 

Thinking on it more...some from swamp 3/4 mile..but still drive to road below and drag down hill.

Edited by growalot