Questions about buying land

chas0218

21 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

It will be a 1 year project and being a school teacher and doing most of the work myself I think my time at the lake will be short lived.

I did a similar project a few years ago myself and I doubt very much you will finish something like that in a year working weekend & nights. Finally said screw it, sold the house,and built new.

Congratulations!!!  I’d be you are excited. 

My wife and I bought an old house, roughly 2200 square feet, and about 6 years later we added another 2000 to it with an addition like you mentioned.  Being able to do a lot of the work certainly helped keep the price down though.  The big thing is that I let her redesign her kitchen, and the addition we built saw a lot of her touches go in to it.  The idea of her opportunity to kind of create her own space really helped keep her content for the first six years in that micro kitchen and 1860’s house.  Good luck!  

BTW, I have purchased (3) pieces of land over the past 11 years, all related to my business.  Closing in a few weeks on my first non-business land ever (besides a house to live in).  That 125+ acres is for hunting!  But of course, it goes in the business name anyways.  Have to be creative in NY as a small business owner to survive.

I have never killed a deer on land that I own.  I am excited about that opportunity.   I expect it to be rewarding in some way for sure.  Here’s to hoping we both get to experience that for the first time this fall – if you haven’t already.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I did a similar project a few years ago myself and I doubt very much you will finish something like that in a year working weekend & nights. Finally said screw it, sold the house,and built new.

I'm a school teacher so I will get a solid 10 weeks of work on it. I will take a few breaks to spend time with my family as I don't want to miss the little things. I really just want to get the main structure up with electric ran then I can get the insulation and drywall up this fall.

24 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Congrats.  I bet it will be nice to walk out your back door to hunt!

That is the hope, we were originally just going to buy land then build a house on a small 2 acre plot but what it was going to cost to build new with the square footage we wanted we about had a stroke when we saw the prices. My parents own a good chuck of property but driving an hour and half back and forth on weekends was getting old and leaving the wife home with a 6 month old and a 2 year old this year will not work. Happy wife, happy life!

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Congratulations!!!  I’d be you are excited. 

My wife and I bought an old house, roughly 2200 square feet, and about 6 years later we added another 2000 to it with an addition like you mentioned.  Being able to do a lot of the work certainly helped keep the price down though.  The big thing is that I let her redesign her kitchen, and the addition we built saw a lot of her touches go in to it.  The idea of her opportunity to kind of create her own space really helped keep her content for the first six years in that micro kitchen and 1860’s house.  Good luck!  

BTW, I have purchased (3) pieces of land over the past 11 years, all related to my business.  Closing in a few weeks on my first non-business land ever (besides a house to live in).  That 125+ acres is for hunting!  But of course, it goes in the business name anyways.  Have to be creative in NY as a small business owner to survive.

I have never killed a deer on land that I own.  I am excited about that opportunity.   I expect it to be rewarding in some way for sure.  Here’s to hoping we both get to experience that for the first time this fall – if you haven’t already.

I'm excited to get my stands put up and such, I didn't want to jump the gun and pull my stands from the other property I hunt and then have this deal fall through. I also need to pattern the deer a little more and add my food plots. Going to have a lot on my plate this spring and summer.