Northern Adirondacks - how much snow is too much?

buckchaser

Planning to hunt most of the final two weeks of the season in the Northern Zone in the northern Adirondacks.  Some weather forecasts are calling for 18 plus inches of snow next week.  While some snow obviously helps decipher deer movement and track animals, how much snow is too much in terms of simply not being able to effectively hunt and/or have the deer switch in full winter movement patterns?

Well, first you have to be able to drive to where-ever you're going to b hunting. 18" plopped on the roads all at once can get to be a pretty hairy driving challenge depending on the steepness and quality of the roads.

Second, depending on your age, wallowing around in 18" of snow may over the entire day be a bit more strenuous exercise than your used to. That is how every year they wind up with a certain number of heart-attack victims being pulled out of the woods. The other big consideration is what kinds of monster hills is that 18" covering.

Third, depending on the wind and snow characteristics, that 18" of snow can turn into significantly deeper snow drifts.

In my case 18" of snow would mean that I am too busy plowing my driveway to be out hunting......lol.