Texas Heart Shot

wolc123

Grow: this 6-point Adirondack buck was not "skylined".   I only fired the one shot at it, dropping it in its tracks.  The two misses you are referring to were on a larger, 8-point Adirondack buck that I killed in 2014.  A careful investigation of the scene of those misses this fall indicated that the first miss was most likely due to the bullet hitting a branch, while the second was due to firing at a 300+ yard range offhand without a rest.  I assumed the first shot was a hit and that was the only reason I took the second shot offhand when the buck reached another opening.  Fortunately that buck stopped walking when he heard the second shot, giving me time to rest my rifle on a tree for the fatal third shot. That one struck him perfectly, diagonally thru the chest, and he dropped dead there in his tracks.
 I am sorry for the confusion I caused by mentioning those earlier misses.   I just wanted to show you that I am not perfect, and have missed deer before.   I do feel extremely blessed to have cleanly killed every deer I have shot at over the last 10 years or so however.  I don't want to take much of the credit for that, preferring to give it to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  He blessed me with more venison than he ever has this fall.   Hunting (and fishing) go a lot better when you realize who controls how and where the blessings flow.  It was quite a blessing not to have a stinky mess when field dressing that THS buck this fall.       

First off taking a 300 yard off hand shot is just as insane as everything else you have said and done so far! What is the point of taking a shot like that. Except for your spray and pray mentality you obviously have going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Chef, I assume every shot I take at a deer connects.  That means I will continue to fire as long as a safe shot presents itself, if the animal remains on it's feet (or if it appears to be suffering).   I am very confident in my marksmanship and only fire on deer (the first time) when I am more than 90% sure of a clean kill.  After that first shot, I assume there is a bullet in the deer already and there is nothing to loose but a little more meat in taking additional shots.  Over the last 10 years I only missed those two shots on that buck, but I also used second shots (to the head or neck) to end the suffering of (3) different does.   None of us down here is perfect.      Are you still hunting?    Good luck if you are.     

18 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

First off taking a 300 yard off hand shot is just as insane as everything else you have said and done so far! What is the point of taking a shot like that. Except for your spray and pray mentality you obviously have going on.

Chef, I assume every shot I take at a deer connects.  That means I will continue to fire as long as a safe shot presents itself, if the animal remains on it's feet (or if it appears to be suffering).   I am very confident in my marksmanship and only fire on deer (the first time) when I am more than 90% sure of a clean kill.  After that first shot, I assume there is a bullet in the deer already and there is nothing to loose but a little more meat in taking additional shots.  Over the last 10 years I only missed those two shots on that buck, but I also used second shots (to the head or neck) to end the suffering of (3) different does.   None of us down here is perfect.      Are you still hunting?    Good luck if you are.     

No I don't hunt Long Island I'm not still hunting, I connected twice this season and that is enough for me.... i doubt that there is a single person here that would support a 300 yard off hand shot

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

apparently you don't know wolc. Let him show you his 100 yard crossbow heart shot and you'll be a believer.

• Like 3