Big Raccoon

This is another one, either ripping up the lawn, or taking a dump on my lawn.    You need to look carefully, and you can see the tail & the body.    One morning I saw 4 coons ripping up the lawn.    Just at day light, & they had no problem being out there at 1st light.   So there must of been a lot of grubs.

MFDC0144.JPG

A box trap baited with a peanut butter coated marshmellow works very well.  When and if they get too smart for that, a little cat food poured into the bottom of a dog-proof "beer-can" style trap will get them every time.   Fortunately, raccoons are about the easiest furbearer there is to trap.  Does anyone know what the hides are fetching this season?   I have let the buzzards eat quite a few due to the poor market in recent years.  Some day, I might toss a carcass in the crockpot, because I heard they are not bad eating.  I imagine that one which has been on a steady sweetcorn diet would be especially tasty and there is only one way to find out if that is true.

A few winters ago, about this time of year, I found a big one dead out in my barn with his head stuck under the bucket of my tractor, and his foot tangled in the netting of a big salmon net that he must have dragged around for a while before getting stuck and suffocating.  The fur was very "prime" on that one so I gave it to my cousin who skinned it and tanned it for me.    

Trapping season is open now, and NY state regulations allow a landowner to trap raccoons that are causing property damage to be trapped and killed by the landowner without a licence or a DEC permit.  During open trapping season, you may dispose of the carcass almost any way you wish (I prefer tossing them out in a field and letting the buzzards and coyotes eat them).  A landowner may also trap and kill raccoons, that are causing damage, without a licence or DEC permit, prior to the opening of trapping season, but the carcass must be burried or burned.   

The trapping class wasn't easy; but it was worth the effort.    Therefore, any Raccoon  I catch, I need to do something with.

Maybe a hat, or a full mount.   Maybe even a rug.  Or maybe just hang the pelt on the wall, but that's kinda plain.  

I'd never catch it just because it's a nuisance, which it is.   

I have until March to decide if he'll be a wall hanger, or wait until next season. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watch these Raccoon's on my cams.    It's so interesting, once the temperatures drops below 25, or if it snows; I won't see a Raccoon for days.   They just hold out until the weather warms up.    I don't even see a foot print in the snow.   Very curious animal.