Cooking Demo at Harrisburg

Big Indian

Went to the show on Sat and attended a seminar given by Chef Albert Wutsch. He is an avid hunter certified Chef and super nice guy. It was an hour well spent, not only did he make  some tasty treats to hand out, he gave so many good examples of how to cook certain cuts of venison as well as other wild game.

I bought his 2 books The Art of cooking venison, and the art of barbecuing and grilling game plus the art of backyard butchering DVD for a show special of $32. Money well spent as I love to cook and many of these recipes can be interchanged with store bought meat when you finish all your venison for the year.

Edited by Big Indian
  • Like 1

i met him years ago when he was attending the show way back then.  was definitely a nice guy.  once the seminar was done everyone packed up and moved on.  a small group of people including us stayed and picked his brain for a while and he was happy to hang around.  i don't recall that kind of deal then but it sure sounds like one.

he was actually off to the side in front of the benoit brothers display trailer, so as we watched the seminar we stood next to a couple of them having casual convo.  one was definitely lanny benoit because he was showing me rifle afterwards.  other was shane or lane.  don't remember.

16 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Missed his demo this year, just not enough time, but have watched in the past. Does a nice job, I have one of his books.

I miss the days when they brought in the deer shot on crop damage from the night before and did the butchering. Always learned from that demo too.

that's what he did when i was there years ago.  had the whole skinned carcass on the table.

16 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

First guy I remember doing a carcass from skinning to cuts was Larry Metz who started "LEM" meat processing equipment. Nice guy to talk to also. 

yea bigger production companies fill the shelves but i've seen his DVDs are very cheap if you can find them.  1/4 of the cost of some other ones.  it's not rocket science and i've been doing it long enough.  for someone just giving processing their own deer a whirl i'd buy everyone.  some older dvd's though don't touch on glands/nodes to not cut into with CWD being so prevalent now.