Honda Pioneer 1000-3 Utv

Does anyone own  one of these and how do you like it? I was reading up on them, and the 2017's have some upgrades. I don't think the LE model is worth it with the AWD as it uses the brakes to control the spinning tires in that mode.  I need GOOD downhill braking and I don't want a pokey Kubota. I currently have a 2012 Polaris 500 efi UTV and it is great except for the downhill braking. I havee 2000 miles on it with no problems so far but am looking to upgrade. Here is my Polaris Ranger...

utv.JPG

utv-2.JPG

Edited by Gizmo285
spelling

I'm surprised your not happy with the downhill breaking in the Ranger buddy has one I used for trapping for a week at his property and I thought the downhill breaking was quite good. I used low gear for crawling around tho too and his is the 800 maybe makes a different. Now about the Honda the atv place I ride at uses one as a recovery rig on the trails and it seems to do what they need it to. I've never drivin it but I imagine it's nice. Have you looked into the new John deer sxs I've seen a few of them and they seem like a pretty well split machine speed vs utility

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Check your brake balance. Off road vehicles even not do old one get horribly abused with junk and muck in the system.  

My buddy has a pioneer 1000, but the convertible to a back seat type. He put aftermarket tires on it.  It does very well on wrecked up muddy logging trails.

Get the awd,  a locked axle has a tenDancy to spin around like you did.  Awd is better for manueverabilty.  4wd has more ultimate traction.  Switch modes is even better.

Awd is easier on the tire wear and easier on trail erosion, drive train wear, and lawn wear.

On a turn the outside wheels turn faster.  Locked axle induce skidding much easier.

A buddy of mine has the new Honda pioneer 1000. He supposedly likes it so far. Honda builds nice machines that are usually very reliable.

Have you looked at the new Kawasaki mules? They are quite a bit different than the older style mules and are supposedly pretty dang awesome I hear. If I was in the market for a new UTV I think i would be test driving a mule for the heck of it