How Would You........

DirtTime

Trail cameras have very little value to me.  My in-laws operate a couple up at their Adirondack camp.  They are a very minor help in patterning antlerless deer movements, but those they see without the cameras are of greater value to me.  They only use the cameras near ATV trails, which the bucks seem to avoid.  In three years of operation, they have captured a single "fuzzy" picture of an antler.  During those same three years, I have been able to take two bucks up there during gun season, by picking the right spot to sit based on the wind direction and knowing where the does were.

At home, in the flat ag lands of western NY, I don't use trail cameras.  In my younger days, trail cameras were not around, but would have been useful.   I sometimes targeted particular, "mature" bucks back then.  I would usually pattern them during archery season and seal the deal during gun.  These days, with a few more hungry mouths to feed, antlers don't mean so much anymore.  I am very happy with any 2-1/2 year old buck, and after mid-seasons, a 1-1/2 will do.  The most cost-effective way for me to fill the freezer at home, is to put my time and effort into foodplots.  For the cost of a trail camera, I can buy quite a bit of fertilizer or fuel.  It is probably easier making those kills without spreading my scent around placing and checking cameras.      

Trail cams are the proverbial double edged sword when used as a scouting tool. They can give you some "inventory" data (BBs in the vicinity &/or antlerless deer's home-base), their summer habits, a security tool and a great resource for entertainment (photos or vids). Mostly useful when used over time as historical habits or patterns. I did it only one year and will never again... hunted an entire bow season based on what BB habits I'd seen on cams during the summer all the way thru the end of Oct. Then ... POOF, disappeared!

Back to the OP's question ... Nothing beats boots on the ground and time (years) in the woods, period!!! It's been a proven strategy for 1000s of years and something many need to get back to. JMO.