Western NY public land

rooster85

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a "Parker". Allegany State Park is fantastic big woods hunting. It's NOT for everyone. It's no place for anyone lacking excellent knowledge of your terrain.....or high-functioning forest skills. There are some fantastic bucks in the park.....but, it's rare to see 15-20 deer in a day's hunt. I love hunting the park.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parker said:

I'm a "Parker". Allegany State Park is fantastic big woods hunting. It's NOT for everyone. It's no place for anyone lacking excellent knowledge of your terrain.....or high-functioning forest skills. There are some fantastic bucks in the park.....but, it's rare to see 15-20 deer in a day's hunt. I love hunting the park.

I hunted ASP quite a bit some 20 years back and really enjoyed the experience... with one exception... I've had shots fired so near me that I know what a slug whizzing by my ear sounds like.  Folks would do this to let you know you were too close to their spot.  I also watched a drunk (could barely walk) enter the woods shotgun in hand.  

Lesson learned... go in at least 1.5 miles.  Beautiful place to hunt... just stay far from the crowd

• Like 1

I agree entirely.....the farther you go.....the better off you are. Like hunting anywhere, you have to spend the time scouting & familiarizing yourself with the area. There is more forest @ ASP than anyone could possibly hunt in 20yrs! Get back in there 1-2miles.....I don't think you'll see another Hunter. If you do....it'll be very like-minded hunters running into each other.

• Like 1

I agree entirely.....the farther you go.....the better off you are. Like hunting anywhere, you have to spend the time scouting & familiarizing yourself with the area. There is more forest @ ASP than anyone could possibly hunt in 20yrs! Get back in there 1-2miles.....I don't think you'll see another Hunter. If you do....it'll be very like-minded hunters running into each other.

You'd also be surprised that they will bed near the road. Which is also where there are no hunters lol

11 hours ago, Belo said:

You'd also be surprised that they will bed near the road. Which is also where there are no hunters lol

That's true! That message of getting as far away from the road as possible has been drummed into everyone's heads for so long that hunter patterns have changed over the decades. I get way back in there because I have an ATV to get me up the hill so I can walk back on the flatter top-land. And it usually is to no avail, because I still see plenty of guys dripping with sweat and huffing and puffing like a steam engine after having dragged themselves and half a garage's worth of hunting gear up that killer hill. So here we are all clustered up on top of the hill with all the deer snoring in the wild rose patches down next to the road.....Ha-ha. I got so sick of my wife telling me about the huge bucks running around the yard while I was miles up the hill. So now I make sure that I spend adequate amounts of time down near civilization.

• Like 1