Moultrie M-40

The m40 and m40i are decent cams sticking with pictures. There are quite a few reports of them not getting as good of battery life for some purposes including video. With Amazon, you need to add tax, so that's going to take you closer to $115 or so assuming free shipping. At that price, you get into the Browning line up at most other sale locations where tax is figured in.

When it comes to buying mid-level cams, I strongly suggest people stick to buying cams that will be "jacks of all trades" so that they can be used in any situation in a pinch. When people start buying higher tier cams, that's when buying a cam that has a specialty, becomes more purposeful (ie cell cam, dedicated video cam, etc.).

The m series this year takes good pics and decent vids; I get some blur on night shots but nothing unnacceptable. The battery consumption just kills the premise that it can do what you need it to. I suspect it's probably done on purpose to drive video users to the S series cam, since that is such a big upsell. If the M series did all tasks well, then there'd be no purpose to the S line.

You see the cam available around $90, and it starts to become a buy in my opinion.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1