First Traditional Kill

Jmp209

8 hours ago, Jmp209 said:

I originally wanted to go with something along the lines of a single bevel grizzly but I've heard they can be difficult to sharpen. This is the first experience I've had with serrated heads so I haven't found anything negative yet. Honestly I'm not too experienced when it come to sharpening so I usually just remove blades and take them to a honing stone. I've been looking at a couple of sharpening kits but I've heard so many mixed reviews that I don't know what to get.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Get an old fixed blade smooth edged broadhead, (it doesn't really matter the brand of type, but a slight curvature to the edge is best)  mounted on a piece of shaft and a medium sized mill file. I takes some practice, but if you make the strokes from back to front @ about 45* across the edge, you will get the micro-serrated edge. Then use some ceramic sticks mounted in an acute "V:" maybe 5 degree total angle. Alternately stroke the blade down one side, then the other keeping the blade perpendicular. As soon as the gritty feeling drag starts to smooth out STOP! You do not want to hone the edge perfectly smooth. Take that edge and pass it along some hairs on the back of your arm in a direction simulating the broadhead penetrating the hide of an animal. If you have the correct edge, it will pop the hairs with little or no sideways pressure against them.

Once you get the hang of it, you  can dress up a 1/2 dozen broadhead in less than 30 minutes.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1