Practice draw on deer you don't intend to shoot?

ApexerER

I was drawing back in a stand once checking where I could and couldn't' shoot.  While I was in full draw a DOE literally walked out right in front of where I was aiming.  I couldn't believe it and whacked the deer and it ended up being a spike. This is the gods honest truth but to this day my buddies don't believe I didn't know it was a spike.  The rule was 6pt or better on the property.  The whole situation was crazy but I never saw horn on his head.

17 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Not saying  right or wrong . But been killing deer with a bow since the late ‘80s . I feel a new bow hunter is better off spooking a doe or two early on , so he learns when to move on the big buck later on . 

You should stand as much as possible , you should have your bow IN YOUR HAND, you should be ready to draw when any deer comes by , as what you want may be next .

i think many who “ get busted drawing “ really get busted standing and reaching for the bow .

If you’re standing raise the bow the bow in front of you as soon as you see deer , release clipped on, it’s very little movement to draw from that point .

Honestly how does pulling one arm straight back idk 15 inches equal a lot of movement ?

I agree with most of this, however those other motions can be done slowly so as not to alert the deer.  The draw has to be a quick movement.  A quick movement is exactly what deer are genetically programmed to identify with danger, putting them in a state of high alert.   Many deer, which have been "alerted" by catching a glimpse of that draw, end up getting struck high. Usually, that is above the spine and outside of the kill zone.   Many bow hunters, especially those who do not butcher their own deer, have no clue how much depth there is above the spine, and swear that their arrow had to have struck below the spine (no mans land ?). 

This points to the biggest reason why I prefer a crossbow and would like to see full inclusion.   Without that mandatory draw requirement with a deer in close, there is no good reason for "alerting" a deer.  That should mean less wounded and un-recovered deer.  We hear about lots of those every year during archery season (I think there were 2 or 3 last weekend in the "live thread).   It is high time that the holdouts put their selfish objections behind them, and let folks use a more efficient weapon if they desire.