Scouting Etiquette on L.I️.?

Cedar+Canvas

Hey all. I’m a life long Northern Zone hunter (central Adirondacks mostly, but all over) living in NYC and want to take advantage of proximity to some new turf and a later season. I’m curious about how scouting works on smaller public pieces, especially in-season. Up North we scout a lot in-season looking for rutting sign, but we literally never see anyone else in the woods and don’t have to worry about blowing up someone else’s hunt. Do most guys tend to have their spots scouted before the season starts? Do the assigned/limited parking spots tend to dictate how many guys are out wandering? Or you kinda just go for it and if you run into somebody just ease back out of their area? I guess the same question applies to still hunting during the gun season in L.I️. Apologies for my ignorance on this one! Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume that you are asking about the coop at Ridge(Otis Pike, or Rocky Point) since you mentioned parking spots. If so , when you see the parking area it will list how many vehicles can park there, if there are no cars then when you park the area is yours.. In some locations the spots connect so you may wander into someone else's area, or they may wander into yours..( be sure to look at the sign because there are a few 2 vehicle spots, and I think there's even a 3 vehicle spot)........ (There are other coop areas in addition to Otis Pike and Rocky Point) , but I'm not sure about those as far as access...

If you are going to scout, or hunt the coop  in bow season you will need an access permit and parking permit(free)..The check Station is open from Nov. 1 thru Dec. 31, so you check in before you go out. It is controlled so you have to have the appropriate permit to access the land for any reason... It's really an easy system once you see how it's done. It's just different from probably most places that you've hunted in.

The problem with scouting is that due to the # of small game and bow hunters that are out  almost every day deer can get spooked from the area that you thought was good...

There are no small game hunters out at most spots at Rocky Point and Otis Pike during the shotgun deer season, but they are out there in bow season

I'm not sure if this helps, if so you can pm me and I can try to answer your questions

I assume that you are asking about the coop at Ridge(Otis Pike, or Rocky Point) since you mentioned parking spots. If so , when you see the parking area it will list how many vehicles can park there, if there are no cars then when you park the area is yours.. In some locations the spots connect so you may wander into someone else's area, or they may wander into yours..( be sure to look at the sign because there are a few 2 vehicle spots, and I think there's even a 3 vehicle spot)........ (There are other coop areas in addition to Otis Pike and Rocky Point) , but I'm not sure about those as far as access...
If you are going to scout, or hunt the coop  in bow season you will need an access permit and parking permit(free)..The check Station is open from Nov. 1 thru Dec. 31, so you check in before you go out. It is controlled so you have to have the appropriate permit to access the land for any reason... It's really an easy system once you see how it's done. It's just different from probably most places that you've hunted in.
The problem with scouting is that due to the # of small game and bow hunters that are out  almost every day deer can get spooked from the area that you thought was good...
There are no small game hunters out at most spots at Rocky Point and Otis Pike during the shotgun deer season, but they are out there in bow season
I'm not sure if this helps, if so you can pm me and I can try to answer your questions

Yeah that helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time.

Graybeard gave you a good summary.  I would add that the DEC managed lands south of the LIE don't get hammered by small game hunters, so these are like prime spots and you can expect competition for those spots from other archers.  Some are decent and will respect the 1 car or 2 car (really 1 or  2 person) limit, but others, not so much. 

Thanks..

I don't know if you bow hunt for deer, or small game and waterfowl hunt , but if you do you might want to look at some of the Tidal Wetland  spots on Long Island . Most are for waterfowl only, but there are a couple of them where you can deer, and small game hunt. You have to read the guidelines for each spot hunt..

The permit that you need for some Wetlands  is the same 3 year permit that you get for the off season coop.. It's called the Managed Land Access Permit and the Managed Land Access Parking Permit.. They are 3 year permits and FREE !!  You can get them on line in seconds, or by contacting the DEC in Stony Brook. I'm not recommending them, because I haven't hunted some of them in years, but it may be an option.. I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can shotgun deer hunt there so you'd have to check that.I used to small game hunt in some of them and waterfowl hunt also. You may not be alone when you hunt the wetlands. There are separate maps for each of them and they should spell out what type of activity is permitted... Good luck

Thanks..
I don't know if you bow hunt for deer, or small game and waterfowl hunt , but if you do you might want to look at some of the Tidal Wetland  spots on Long Island . Most are for waterfowl only, but there are a couple of them where you can deer, and small game hunt. You have to read the guidelines for each spot hunt..
The permit that you need for some Wetlands  is the same 3 year permit that you get for the off season coop.. It's called the Managed Land Access Permit and the Managed Land Access Parking Permit.. They are 3 year permits and FREE !!  You can get them on line in seconds, or by contacting the DEC in Stony Brook. I'm not recommending them, because I haven't hunted some of them in years, but it may be an option.. I'm not sure, but I don't think that you can shotgun deer hunt there so you'd have to check that.I used to small game hunt in some of them and waterfowl hunt also. You may not be alone when you hunt the wetlands. There are separate maps for each of them and they should spell out what type of activity is permitted... Good luck

Thanks for that suggestions. I’ll definitely look into the Tidal Wetlands. I’m primarily looking to bow hunt for deer out with my climber, but also putting for the gun draw to maybe still hunt a bit with my muzzleloader. I️ have family in Eastern L.I️. and would have a free place to stay out there so I’ve been looking at the East Hampton Coop maps, but I’m honestly open to anything. In my normal WMU (5H) we’re all done on Dec. 4 so any time out for deer after that is a treat for me.

Just beware Long Island is a high population area. All kinds of people use the woods. You will run into all types and if you leave cameras or stands in the woods there is a good chance they will get stolen. We have a few stands out in Rocky Point that are really deep into the woods where nobody bothers them. Some really huge deer out there but its tough hunting. A lot of underbrush helps them stay hidden. When the weather is warm watch out for the tick larva it can ruin day, week and month!

• Like 2

Just beware Long Island is a high population area. All kinds of people use the woods. You will run into all types and if you leave cameras or stands in the woods there is a good chance they will get stolen. We have a few stands out in Rocky Point that are really deep into the woods where nobody bothers them. Some really huge deer out there but its tough hunting. A lot of underbrush helps them stay hidden. When the weather is warm watch out for the tick larva it can ruin day, week and month!

Thanks, will do. Surely going to be a different experience than hunting up in the mountains but I’m excited to learn to new stuff.

• Like 1