Logging Lease vs Public Land...... Torn

sailinghudson25

I have been going up to the Stillwater area for about 6 years now.  I am in a very reasonably priced lease with an established cabin.  I'm happy with the place, know it reasonably well.  I have not connected with a nice buck, but have passed up shots on lsser feller's.  I can also bring ATV's right up to the deer.  I got 2 treestands there and I have a decent trap line for mink, breaver, and fisher boxes up there too.  I can also use a shower every night.  I can leave stuff and have trail cameras all season.  Heck I got a moose on camera last year....

However, this is not big woods hunting.  No huge views.  I hear ATV's, generator, people talking, and pop shots...   I am torn.....

I won't leave the club, but get the itch to hunt elsewhere.

It's good woods with better populations, but no big mountains, no canoe trip in, no roughing it camping.....

Anyone relate here.............

I am tempted to have a plan B that is local to the area, so I can build knowledge, but can go there when the hunting pressure gets high after the first week of rifle over there....

I know other hunters are pretty jealous at time of us folks with leases........  But, you know about the grass on the other side.

• Like 1

You could use your camp as a base camp and branch out from there. I personally wouldn't sleep in the woods it's just not for me .My house is on the northern/southern boarder so two hours ether way i'm good. I've only been up there for a few seasons and still trying to put it figure things out. when I move up there for good it's on i'll be exploring until I found some game rich areas.So far I've been concentrating on the northern zone I just keep moving around until I see what I'm looking for. The good thing is there's plenty of land to explore. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:26 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

I have been going up to the Stillwater area for about 6 years now.  I am in a very reasonably priced lease with an established cabin.  I'm happy with the place, know it reasonably well.  I have not connected with a nice buck, but have passed up shots on lsser feller's.  I can also bring ATV's right up to the deer.  I got 2 treestands there and I have a decent trap line for mink, breaver, and fisher boxes up there too.  I can also use a shower every night.  I can leave stuff and have trail cameras all season.  Heck I got a moose on camera last year....

However, this is not big woods hunting.  No huge views.  I hear ATV's, generator, people talking, and pop shots...   I am torn.....

I won't leave the club, but get the itch to hunt elsewhere.

It's good woods with better populations, but no big mountains, no canoe trip in, no roughing it camping.....

Anyone relate here.............

I am tempted to have a plan B that is local to the area, so I can build knowledge, but can go there when the hunting pressure gets high after the first week of rifle over there....

I know other hunters are pretty jealous at time of us folks with leases........  But, you know about the grass on the other side.

I have an area I love but I'm doing just what you say next year. Hunt state land ADK park 10 minutes away. Always fun to have a variety of ways to hunt big game.