Odd Rack

wfmiller

Had a deer on one property we hunt a few years ...he was the #2 buck and one night I got a trail cam pic of him looking good with a full rack.....next morning he makes his way through right out of my comfort level so I decided not to shoot....luck would have it as he turns moments after I decide not to shoot he shows the entire right side snapped off.....well the #1 buck was on the property that previous night too and it looked like #2 lost a rough battle and half a rack.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buckstopshere said:

Looks like an old buck from the photo. 

In this picture he does, but I have another picture of him from late July during the day and he really doesn't look that old. I thought maybe he got hurt at some point and that's why his rack is so odd. It doesn't seem to be broken, it's just the way it grew. Doesn't matter, I like the odd rack so I want him.

We had 2 mature bucks similar to that on the farm last year. I know one didnt make it, as we found his skull during a drive. I missed a shot on the other one a few days after that. Neither of them appeared to have injuries, but who knows. I have heard in the past that theres something that some deer have/get that shows up in cracks or something in their skulls that can cause that. I cant remember the details offhand.