Anyone Tan Their Deer Hides?

Dstone001

My hunting buddy and I were thinking about tanning a hide this season.  I know it's a long and often smelly process, but we think it will be fund.  I've found a lot of stuff on the Internets, but I thought someone here could point to a good tutorial/instructions?  Or just some good advice?  

Thanks in advance!

Only done hair on, but the couple piece I have done came out great. Doesn't really smell, but can be labor intensive especially shaving hide.

Found this to be a good page of info with a few tips;

https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Typical-Scenario-for-Tanning-a-Hide-W52.aspx

Done both the Tannium and Lutan;

https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Hide-Tanning-W48.aspx

The tannium for a piece of heavy hide of Cape Buffalo and a Beaver, it comes out with a blue tint thats good for dark hides/dark furs. The Lutan for a couple other hides, coon, deer.

I mixed just enough chemicals for the job in plastic tubs and dishwashing type pans. 

Used more oil to break skin then I expected. Bought clean salt from feed supply store.

Excellent, thank you.

what do you use to flesh the hide?

Do you build a frame to stretch the hide?  If so, can you give a basic description?

Do you use brains as a tanning agent?  The Achilles tendon to tie it up?  (I recall reading some place that all animals have enough tendon to tie up their hide and enough brains to tan them.) 

I used a Ulu type blade for fleshing, I find it easier than a scraping type blade like trappers use. But thats just me. I have also used a professional fleshing machine like taxidermists use and they are awesome, but one needs some practice (I did a steer hide before sending it out for tan) You could also look at YT for videos on using pressure washer for fleshing, I did another cow hide like that and is pretty easy to take off misc fat/sinew/meat......but I never did a deer with it. 

I made wood frames and pinned the edges for drying and made a wood stretcher for tube skinned coon and beaver. Tried to avoid metal for no rust stains.

I used commercial tans as in my post. I'm not old school enough to be trying to salvage brains and sinew out of a carcass.

Salt is your friend, it kills bacteria and you can't use too much on a fresh hide.