well im kicking myself

tommyc50

wow thank you guys I feel much better. I been running around so I really couldn't respond, but im going back up tomorrow and I hope I get a shot @ him again.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

IMO   You did the right thing   Can't kill em all as it's hunting and not shooting.   

Regarding Velcro : I would have paid top dollar for it Monday afternoon. longunderwear, camo pants on. leafy ghilli like drawstring pants for outer layer and don't I zip the head of my Johnson into my camo pants  zipper :negative: after taking a whizz.  The freakin zipper got stuck and the movie American Pie came to mind. I did keep the beans below the frank though^_^  I'll never admit to it .hurt like a mr fr ,nor did it happen if asked      It was the bottom pant leg zipper too ,well you know because hung like that:mda:

tf I know we all been there,nothing hurts that bad and you know its going to hurt even more when you pull that zipper back down.

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have heard folks talk about "stopping" a moving deer with a whistle.  That might be ok with a gun, but I would never do it with archery tackle.   

I can't whistle that good so I just blat at them. They stop in their tracks and even if you don't shoot they will just walk away. Heck I stopped 3 does running across the field once, it was great. Soon as they heard me they stopped in their tracks and just stood there. Why shoot at a walking deer, especially during bow season when you don't have too?

13 minutes ago, wfmiller said:

I can't whistle that good so I just blat at them. They stop in their tracks and even if you don't shoot they will just walk away. Heck I stopped 3 does running across the field once, it was great. Soon as they heard me they stopped in their tracks and just stood there. Why shoot at a walking deer, especially during bow season when you don't have too?

Standing and non-alert is best, but I will take a slow steady walk over stopped and alert.  The problem with the blat or whistle is that it puts them in an alert state.  That is no big deal with a gun (supersonic), but is a problem with archery (subsonic) because the alert deer will not be in the same place when the arrow releases as it is when it hits and that motion is not as predictable as a steady walk.    

A fast walk or a run is a no go for me with archery, but no issue with a gun, especially at close range.  If faced with that situation during archery season, I might just try that blat.  If it did stop the deer, I would aim for the very bottom of the heart to compensate for for the inevitable string jump.   That way you have a dead deer wether it ducks or not.  It does make a lot more sense to make a noise like a deer rather than an obviously human whistle.       

On 10/3/2018 at 10:57 PM, wolc123 said:

What would you estimate your chances of success would have been on those two shots ?  The first one does not sound so good.   The second one may have been doable, depending on how thick the weeds were and how far behind them he was.   I killed a heavy buck last fall, with an arrow, in the late afternoon.  The lighting was not so good in the woods at the time.  I saw an opening between branches, and my aim was true.   The next time I hunted that stand at mid-day, I found my arrow (that had "passed thru" the buck's boiler room) sticking out of the ground. I was surprised to see all the smaller twigs that had not been visible in the low-light conditions.  Based on that single "brush-busting" experience, I would say your odds may have been ok.   That said, I probably would not have taken that shot, had all those little branches been visible at the time.  

I am reluctant to take "iffy" shots because there is nothing that bothers me more about hunting than hitting and not being able to recover a deer.  I am extremely thankful that it has been almost 15 years since I have gone thru my last such unpleasant experience.   That one was with my muzzleloader.  It was only due to by my own poor tracking and a couple bad assumptions (that fresh snow would show blood if the shot had hit), that I did not find that "single lunged" buck until after the coyotes had.  My shot struck right on the mark, but was up high and there was no exit wound.  I no longer trust fresh snow (small drops of hot blood cuts right thru it leaving no trace on top), and I assume every shot is a hit until PROVEN otherwise.   Those lessons, learned the hard way, have helped put at least one young buck, and one mature 8-point in our freezer in the years since.                    

Really? No Iffy shots? But you take one right up the Ass?   Oh that's right...It was god taking the wheel on that Iffy shot!

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Standing and non-alert is best, but I will take a slow steady walk over stopped and alert.  The problem with the blat or whistle is that it puts them in an alert state.  That is no big deal with a gun (supersonic), but is a problem with archery (subsonic) because the alert deer will not be in the same place when the arrow releases as it is when it hits and that motion is not as predictable as a steady walk.    

A fast walk or a run is a no go for me with archery, but no issue with a gun, especially at close range.  If faced with that situation during archery season, I might just try that blat.  If it did stop the deer, I would aim for the very bottom of the heart to compensate for for the inevitable string jump.   That way you have a dead deer wether it ducks or not.  It does make a lot more sense to make a noise like a deer rather than an obviously human whistle.       

The blat doesn't put them on alert really. Like I said, if you don't shoot they will just walk away and go about their business. Sure they will look, but they will stand there well long enough for you to shoot.