Doe with crossbow?

jmark

Sorry, folks, I can't figure it out from the stupid DEC website.  First year with a crossbow for me.  Question: During the crossbow period of the bow season (Nov 3-16, I believe), is it legal to take a doe with the crossbow?  What tag do you use (I don't have a DMP usable with a crossbow at this point (4J for me), and my son used his during Youth Weekend).  Archery tag? 

Sorry for the dumb question, I swear I spent over and hour on the DEC site trying to find it... I'm sure it's right under my nose somewhere.

TIA

jm

yes

Crossbows may also be used to take deer or bear during limited portions of bowhunting seasons as follows, provided that the hunter possesses the muzzleloading privilege:

• During the last 14 days of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone;
  • During the last 10 days of the early bowhunting season in the Northern Zone; this includes the 7-day early muzzleloader season in the Northern Zone;
  • Only Bow/Muzz tags, DMPs or DMAPs may be use during these times.

However: NO 4J

Crossbows may not be used under the following conditions:

• To take deer or bear in the following areas of the state:
    • Wildlife Management Unit (WMU) 4J in Albany County
Edited by Engraver99

Thanks.  I guess that last point is where the answer is?  I mean, the bow/muzz is "either sex" for bow or muzz.  So I guess it's also "either sex" for crossbow?  They don't come right out and say it...  DMP obviously antlerless only, so I guess that's an answer....  But the only DMP I currently have is 4J, and apparently you can't use a crossbow in 4J. 

Still a little confusing to me.  

It is not well written. This is how i understand it. Crossbow is available as an implement for the last two weeks of early bow season. You can use any tag that is available to you in that season that is unfilled. If you have a muzzleloading license you will get a bow/muzzleloader early season either sex. If you also have a bow license, you will get an addition bow/muzzle anterless tag. Either of those tags can be used in the crossbow season if they are unfilled at that point.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk