Any ice yet?

cdmckane

I've got the week off between Christmas and New Year's and was hoping to head up north to hit some hard water.  I'm open to head anywhere, but Old Forge and Watertown areas would be best as I can make it a day trip.  Though I'm not opposed to spending a couple of days if it's worth it.  Thanks, Chris.

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Only floating in my whiskey glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here!  I was hoping to find some up north.  I've got buddies in PA who've been out on the ice a few times already and I'm itching to get out myself.

I was on the ice today in New Berlin. Weather is iffy, but nights are all below freezing, so it may stick around. Further north, I would think there is more ice on the small to medium lakes. Big water is not even close yet. I was on 4-6 inches of good ice today, but the weather is in the 40s today and tomorrow. i will make it back out tomorrow morning with my spud to be safe, but I don't know if it will last til next week. It is going to be a definite maybe. If you go, take a spud and use it for more than a walking stick. Early ice can be uneven and unsafe.

I have been chomping at the bit to get out, but I know better than to get careless.  My brother and I got a nice couple batches of crappies yesterday and today. We had to fish through a lot of shorts, but came up with enough for a small fish fry for five people. 

It is looking doubtful for next weekend as the highs are going up for this area. Some rain last night and this morning did nothing to improve the conditions.

I stayed home from work with a sick kid today.  After our visit to the Dr, I stopped by a few places.  Dryden Lake and Lake Como both had people fishing not far from shore.  At both places they reported "3-4 inches" of ice.  Not nearly thick enough for me.  Tri County Pond in Harford and Casterline pond in Homer both had water on top of the ice and I didn't even dare to take a few steps to drill a test hole.