LED Lantern

So I have been working on a shooting shack for my back 40 range to keep me out of the winter weather. Needed some light inside to brighten things up and having no electricity out there I started poking around for something battery powered to light up the inside. Found this D cell powered lantern on Amazon with rave reviews so I bit and purchased one, also purchased some rechargeable D cells. Anyhow I charge up the batteries and fire this thing up, holy smokes this light will burn out your retinas!! Thank goodness it can be dimmed! It is by far the brightest lantern I have ever seen so if you are needing some real lighting power this baby does the trick!

Al

2018-12-16_080011.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived on 12/24.  I put the batteries in it and tried it out.  Very impressed.  Seems to be of very good quality and has a 3 year guarantee.  Plenty of light in the cabin on the lowest setting.  Can probably use it to light the whole back deck at night on the highest setting.  Glad you posted this.

P.S.  I also like the "red" mode and the SOS blinking red lights.  LOL!

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

For a permanent or semi permanent shack, I'd probably opt for a solar panel rigged to a basic LED light. They're really cheap now and no need to worry about rechargeables being charged.

That said that lantern is really nice. A friend has one and I borrowed it the other day and about fell over when I turned it on while looking at it. Dumb, but impressive.

• Like 1

The trouble with solar in the Catskill Mtns is not much sun to charge the unit every day.  We get a lot of cloudy or snowy days every winter.  No solar energy system around here is sufficient to work most of the time.  They all need a back up system and that's what runs about 75% of the time in the winter.

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

The trouble with solar in the Catskill Mtns is not much sun to charge the unit every day.  We get a lot of cloudy or snowy days every winter.  No solar energy system around here is sufficient to work most of the time.  They all need a back up system and that's what runs about 75% of the time in the winter.

I think the OP is using it for a hunting shack to keep out of the weather - IE a permanent or semi permanent blind. A basic solar panel rig, optima or similar battery, and LED light will run for years without needing attention vs. a lantern where you need to remember to charge NiMH or similar batteries. At some point, you'll forget and have no light. It's not a high draw high use scenario.

• 8 months later...

Update:  I love this lantern and use it a lot.  The handle, which is very comfortable, but soft rubber, split in two because I hung it from a hook that pressed on the middle of the handle.

I e-mailed the company (Intervine.com) and asked if i could get a new handle for it.

They said they could not send me a new handle, but would be happy to send me A NEW LANTERN!!  WOW!!

Not only did they send me a new lantern for free, without asking me to return the old one, they sent me the upgraded version that is rechargeable.

Now that's good old fashioned customer service.  I plan to look into buying more of their products now.

(BTW, the old one with the broken handle is still in use in my shed.  I taped the handle together with Gorilla tape.)

:imsohappy:

• Like 6