Believe It Or Not

Received this today in response to my e-mail regarding gun control

A message from: Charles E. Schumer

Senator Schumer <[email protected]>
Wed 2/6/2019
Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control legislation.  Like you, I believe the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Constitution’s Second Amendment.

While I respect the Second Amendment to the Constitution, I believe that we have a collective interest in keeping guns out of the hands of those who want to harm the innocent.  I believe it is possible to strike a reasonable balance.  

I have long advocated for faster and more accurate background checks so legal purchasers can receive their guns quickly while ensuring criminals do not illegally purchase and possess firearms. After the tragedy at Virginia Tech in 2007, I took a leading role in passing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Amendments Act through the Senate.  This legislation, supported by the National Rifle Association, authorizes funds for states to compile required background data into the shared NICS database.  Ensuring that this information is comprehensive and up to date will better prevent criminals from illegally purchasing and possessing firearms.  

I have also fought to create new opportunities for law abiding citizens to exercise their right to use guns.  That includes working to expand hunting grounds in NYS by creating a financial incentive to allow private landowners to allow hunters to access their property.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.
Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator

Please do   not respond to this email.  To send another message please visit my website at

Edited by Steve D

It's obvious from his reply that Schumer believes the right to bear arms is NOT a Constitutional Right.  He intends to transform it into a government granted privilege by license.  When that happens, the government can use any type of issue as a disqualifier.

A right does not require government permission.  It can be removed only if someone commits a felony.  Preventative law is unconstitutional and has never been proved to actually prevent crime.

I agree with a ONE TIME background check to obtain a firearms ID card.  Once you have passed the government NICS check, you should be allowed to buy ANY firearm, at ANY time, and carry it on your person and use it to defend yourself in accordance with the laws of self defense.

Unless due process in a court of law removes your right, the government should never be able to question any of your firearms or their use.

Also, with such a system. the government does NOT know, or have any business knowing, how many firearms, or what type of firearms. you own.  Schumer is well aware of this proposed system which completely preserves the rights of all responsible firearm owners, and he REJECTS it!  Why?  Because he wants it to be a government controlled privilege.  

It's all about power and control.

• Like 1

Notice also his use of the word "comprehensive" referring to background checks.  That means "encompassing everything they can think of as a reason to deny your right to have a firearm".  They get to decide what disqualifies you.  Remember, they want to look at your 'thoughts" on social media too.  What thoughts will they decide make you a threat?

"I have also fought to create new opportunities for law abiding citizens to exercise their right to use guns."

This is the biggest lie in that e-mail.  Has he supported concealed carry in the 5 boroughs?  Has he advocated for more shooting ranges, gun safety programs or easing transport laws?  No.  Not only has he not "created new opportunities", he's done all he can to eliminate many of them.

18 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I agree with a ONE TIME background check to obtain a firearms ID card.  Once you have passed the government NICS check, you should be allowed to buy ANY firearm, at ANY time, and carry it on your person and use it to defend yourself in accordance with the laws of self defense.

Unless due process in a court of law removes your right, the government should never be able to question any of your firearms or their use.

The new red flag law is going to put a crimp on firearm ownership for some. All that has to happen is someone reports there is someone "potentially" dangerous living in your house and law enforcement has to right to confiscate any firearms on the property. Doesn't matter if you "pass" a background check or not.

12 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Got the same form letter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rachunter said:

me too and I was emailing him about ny knife laws!!!!

Whoever sent the response didn't even address the other issue I included about stonewalling and building the wall.

I assume they probably have a form letter for each topic and will only let you address one at a time.:crazy:

• Like 1