How I built my arrows

I have gained so much valuable information from many forums on so many topics, that I thought I would share some info that has helped me. I would like to offer some advice that has worked well for me in building good arrows for hunting.  So if you getting arrows for the first time or you are looking into buying new arrows, either way, I think this will very helpful to you. 

I started with Beman MFX 400 shafts cut to 28 inches. I determined my size by using the Beman/Easton guide and my draw length. I shoot a Mathews Drenalin at 60lbs. Ideally, for hunting purposes you want an arrow that weighs well over 400 grains with a FOC of 12-14%.

The first thing I do is install the NAP Quikfletch QuickSpin fletchings on the bare shafts as close to nock end of the arrow shafts as possible. I am in love with these. They are easy to use and have helped my groupings become tighter and they are easy to replace should you destroy a fletching. They weigh about 30 grains. Then insert the nock.

The next thing I do is determine my FOC (front of center). I am looking for about 12-14% FOC.  You will need break off weight inserts which I order thru 3 Rivers Archery (see below for link). They come as 75 grain weight which can be broke off to 50 or even 25 grain inserts.  I used 75 grains.Insert the FT in to the shaft loosely and by using just a bit of scotch tape, enough to hold on the 75 grain insert at the end of the shaft as well insert the 100 grain field tip. (obviously insert a 125 grain FT if you are going to use a 125 grain BH). This will get you close as the tape weighs little.

Using the FOC calculator determine the FOC using the 75 grain weight. If the FOC comes up over 15% then break off 25 grains from the insert and calculate again. You are looking for 12-14% FOC. To figure FOC go to:

http://archeryreport.com/2010/09/arrow-foc-basics-calculate/

[/color]To order the break off weight inserts you can go to:

[/color]http://www.3riversarchery.com/Easton+Brass+HIT++Break-Off+Insert_i6757-1_baseitem.html

[/color]

[/color]The reason you want a 12-14% FOC is the arrow will fly better and have more impact or kinetic energy. Yes you do lose a little speed but the arrow will fly better in adverse conditions as well as have more impact (kinetic energy) to penetrate thru bone. Once you have determined the proper weight to use to obtain the desired FOC then glue in one insert. Let the glue dry and then screw in the FT. Go shoot the arrow and see how it flys. 

You may wish to paper tune but I assure you for the most part, this will work out well with all your arrows.

When I was done, I weighed my arrows on digital scale and my total arrow eight is 473 grains with a 13% FOC. I set my sons arrows up the same way. He shoots a Diamond Stud at 52 lbs with 450 grain arrow with a 14% FOC. At a 3D shoot we were shooting with a friend who shoots a Darton set up at 62 lbs and my son’s arrows were penetrating much deeper then the friends in to the target and mine penetrated even deeper.

Once you set up your arrows like this I bet you never buy arrows another way. Good luck and I hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I checked my arrows for foc, and it looks like 9.7%. I shoot an Elite Gt500 set @ 65#, gold Tip pro hunter arrows, 100 grain fixed broadheads, and luminocs. I notice whenever I should with friends my arrows are always the hardest to pull out of the targets and are always in the deepest. If I did the math correctly I believe i'm getting over 70 ft lbs of kenetic energy. I shot through a chronograph at 291 fps.