Pa changes opening day..

G-Man

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I would like to see Hunting in New Jersey on Sunday as well. 

My favorite rule change, regarding deer hunting in NY, was allowing crossbows to be used for the best two weeks of the season.   Second best, was allowing Sunday hunting.   Since that change went into effect, I have capitalized with multiple deer and even my first-ever turkey last fall, by doing this:  Take the family to church in the morning, then kill the game in the afternoon.    That way, not only are you obeying the commandment that says : "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy", you also might get a little help from above in getting the job done.   It has gotten to the point where it almost feels like I am cheating sometimes, and I feel sorry for those poor unsuspecting animals, but that only lasts until I take my first bite of them at the dinner table.  Few activities position someone better to receive the blessings of God's grace than hunting and fishing do.      

The switch of opening day from Monday to Saturday was third best.  It is great to gain an extra vacation day to be able use for a little more "family time".   The good hunting and fishing rules,  abundance of "tasty" quarry, and great climate make me very thankful to live and work in NY.   I feel sorry for those who have to live in or feel the need to retire in one of the other 49 states, where the game is fewer, the rules and climate are worse, and the traffic is heavier.     

Edited by wolc123

On 4/13/2019 at 4:44 PM, wolc123 said:

Well, since close to half of the overall gun-season deer take in the southern zone happens on that day, I would say it is a pretty important day, almost equal in fact to the rest of the season combined.   

If I could only hunt opening day or the rest of the gun season Id take opening day every time

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I could only hunt opening day or the rest of the gun season Id take opening day every time

I would probably flip a coin on that one.   The increasing popularity of bowhunting, and waning number of gun hunters has slightly reduced the "big-deal" that opening day once was.   Sightings after that day have been a little more common, and sightings on that day are much reduced, compared to the days before bow hunting was so popular.  At least that is the case here in WMU 9F.            

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I would.pass opening  day for the rest of season easy, I've killed bigger aand more deer 2nd and 3rd day of the season  cant think of last time I killed something opening day

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I would.pass opening  day for the rest of season easy, I've killed bigger aand more deer 2nd and 3rd day of the season  cant think of last time I killed something opening day

Last year was the first in a long time that I punched my buck tag on that day.   It had been a long time since one with more than 3 points on a side gave me a chance, otherwise I always like to save my buck tag for Thanksgiving weekend, up in the northern zone.   Opening day has been the day when the vast majority of my gun does have been killed however.   They mostly go nocturnal around home after that, until muzzleloader opens up in December.     

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Last year was the first in a long time that I punched my buck tag on that day.   It had been a long time since one with more than 3 points on a side gave me a chance, otherwise I always like to save my buck tag for Thanksgiving weekend, up in the northern zone.   Opening day has been the day when the vast majority of my gun does have been killed however.   They mostly go nocturnal around home after that, until muzzleloader opens up in December.     

For me after bow season and opening weekend Im out there hoping someone kicks me a fleeing deer. Id rather be duck hunting