Tree Stand Question - Where to put it?

TheHunter

Hey All,

I have an property where on one side is all fields about 100 yards off my property line on neighbors land.  Should I consider putting a stand right on the property line? Or should I go back about 200 yards so I am off the field even further?  I see so many trails going to / from the fields, just not sure where to place the stand.

Thanks

Way too many factors involved to give any sound advise,usually takes me alot of thinking and scouting to determine a stand and thats with me physically being there. Without seeing the layout I wont even attempt to give advise, sorry. But you cant go wrong with being a couple hundred yards off on a main trail that leads into a feeding area, even better is if you find where couple trails may converge into one that lead into a field/foodplot.

funnel areas like valleys or near a swamp have worked for me.  too close to a food source isnt imo good for a morning hunt, cause the deer are coming off the fields too bed before dawn.  If you can keep a 2-3 hundred yards away from the food source you can hunt it in the morning and in the evening.  catch them leaving the food source and going into the food source.  I have also used a topo map to check elevations in the propery,  which will help also with finding natural funnels .

Very good info. Fairgame. Thats how I hunt my property, couple hundred yards off my plots and always go in from the backdoor. I never approach my plots or go near them in the morning. I can however hunt close to the plots in the afternoons. Thats how I got my 4 pointer with bow last year, I took him about 150 yards from the plot. My dad is the only one that actually hunts the plots all day, but that is during the rifle season.

I was so excited by all the talk about hunting I actually went out and bought a few mags (bow hunter, white tail, and a few others).  There were a few articles about the natural funnels in there, and how successful you can be by looking @ the terrain.  It's neat stuff.