Scope Recommendations for a Ruger American 22 mag

It is a good scope. But it all depends on what type of hunting you are going to. For example, the scope ring of the scope you shared is too small for hunting ducks. While hunting ducks, you keep your rifle in your hands, and it isn't comfortable to scope without a big scope ring. I suggest you find a way to determine the scope ring height for your scope so that you would buy the perfect scope for your rifle. But if you are going to deer hunting or other terrestrial animals, this scope is good enough.

10 minutes ago, lethouel said:

It is a good scope. But it all depends on what type of hunting you are going to. For example, the scope ring of the scope you shared is too small for hunting ducks. While hunting ducks, you keep your rifle in your hands, and it isn't comfortable to scope without a big scope ring. I suggest you find a way to determine the scope ring height for your scope so that you would buy the perfect scope for your rifle. But if you are going to deer hunting or other terrestrial animals, this scope is good enough.

It depends though. If you are focusing on head shots with the 22 mag on ducks, then I agree, the scope ring isn’t big enough, especially once they get out to 300-400 yards. However, if it’s a duck drive, and your shooting under 100 and just trying to get some lead in them, it’s plenty. The other thing about the close range duck hunting is that the rifle does leave your hands, since you need to throw it at the ducks to get them moving. 

Personally, I find the 22 mag to be a bit of over kill on deer and most other terrestrial game. I prefer to throw a few extra pumps on my old Daisy and call it a day. The BB has plenty of knockdown power, and doesn’t destroy the meat/hide as much as the 22 mag. 

Great first post by the way, welcome!

• Haha 4