Pre 1911 Remington Model 11

You have a nice old vintage shotgun.  I don't have a Blue Book, so I don't really know the value. I don't think that the Remington shotguns have a great deal of collector interest at this time ( could change in a few years) but if it is truly in fine shape it should bring a fair price as a shooter. A good source of info on any shotgun is www.shotgunworld.com.

Even though it is over 100 years old, your gun is fine to shoot with any 2  3/4" LEAD ammo, high or low brass  as long as it is chambered for 2  3/4" shells. Be sure to adjust the friction rings for either high or low brass shells. Just don't shoot steel or other non-toxic shot through it. If it were mine, I probably wouldn't shoot 2  3/4 inch magnum shells either, although they probably wouldn't harm it.

What a nice birthday present. ;D ..

While a 100 year old gun may seem old, fluid steel technology was used in it's manufacture and it is safe to shoot with "normal" lead shot loads. It is essentially a MODERN shotgun, except that  it was not designed for steel or other "harder than lead" non toxic shotshells, and the use of them would most likely damage your barrel.

If I were you I'd treasure my hierloom and enjoy using it.