Video - Trolling With the Seth Green Rig

Pete Collin

Great video .. back when I had my boat I use to troll death green rigs . Actually that's how I learned to troll with my gramps. I did like fishing downriggers better . Seth green is an efficient  way of catching lakers  but not as much fun to play the fish. 

Boat looks alot like the one I had . 17.5 foot sylvan  I had a 48hp johnson on it .

I started lake trout fishing in the 1960's....For about ten years I fished  a Seth Green Rig out of a wooden box with a screen across the bottom....Dacron line,  bronze " whiffle tree" 3 way swivels,  mono leaders and flutter spoons..I used mostly Suttons, but also had good luck with Quick Strikes, Clark's and Miller's...

I did not use a rod, but held the line in my hand..I used a moveable leather strap on the line to save my fingers, and also to mark the depth ( length of line) that I was fishing....Used mostly 16 to 20 ounce sinkers and five leaders.. My Keuka Lake rig had 10 foot leaders and 12 foot spacers, and my Seneca rig had 15 foot leaders and 20 foot spacers...

My biggest trout was a 16 lb. 12 oz laker that I took from Keuka on Sept. 15th, 1975...It took me a full half hour to land the fish, playing it completely by hand  with no rod or drag to cushion the fight...

• Like 1