Anyone use Buckhorn powder in a T/C Prohunter

Grizz1219

I use Blackhorn in a regular TC Encore . Hornady .452 250 XTP in a MMP 3 petal EZ sabot sitting on top of 90 grains Blackhorn will put em into an inch at 100yards, No swabbing between shots. 

Cleanup couldnt be easier. I use a couple patches soaked with Hoppes no 9 and follow with some dry patches. Clean it like you would a regular smokeless gun.

Its one of the few powders I thought lived up to its hype.

I havent put it over a chronograph. But it is plenty out to 150 yards.  I have usually used charges in the 90-110 grain range and never found power lacking. I settled on 90 with that gun because at the time I was setting up the gun for a newer hunter to use. Once I hit 90 in my load development and had 3 bullets in less than an inch I stopped. Im sure it would shoot good at 100 and 110 also. Ive personally killed 2 does and 1 8pt with that load. And the 8pt was about 90 yards.  It doesent lack for power. I havent experimented more because I actually use my traditional styled guns more than my inlines now.

The problem with 150 grain charges are they usually are less accurate or at least harder to shoot accurate. They just arent necessary. A 100 grain charge of Balckhorn or 777 will probably get you about 1850-1900 fps with a 250 grain bullet. I cant imagine needing more than 120 grains of either of these powders.

Both Blackhorn and 777 will give you much more velocity than pyrodex or real black powder. And Ive killed alot of deer with 100 grain charges of both.

PS dont use those "special muzzleloading primers" with Blackhorn. Use winchester regular w209 or federal 209a standard . 

Also Blackhorn has a very good shelf life according to all tests.  You cant say that about any other powde except real black powder.

A 100 grain charge of those powders is plenty for the style of hunting I do. And I wouldnt pass a 150 yard shot. Experiment and youll agree.