Bedding area’s

rachunter

I’ve been trying to figure out where these deer are bedding on top of the mountain or across the road in a river bottom. Today I followed a track that pasted this I’m not sure if it’s a bed or just digging for beechnut.

70a80b1873634d6bb02f7758737e1d8e.jpg

There’s a deadfall in front off it and a steep area above. This is almost at the top of the mountain. I also back tracked two single sets of track down into a river bottom. It’s kinda small about 500 yards from the main road. I’m thinking of giving that a try tomorrow or is it to close to the road for them to bed down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big woods deer eat when they’re hungry and bed when they’re tired. All the hunting I’ve done in the big woods I’ve never found a dedicated bedding area. In that picture that’s where they’re eating beech nuts, they could bed there as well but that’s definitely where they’re eating.

• Like 1

I thought they just laid down, but wasn’t sure. They seem to be seeking out the beechnuts right now. I was down by my pond this afternoon and that’s where I found deer sign under the beechnut trees. I’m going to hit another Mountain tomorrow that has beechnut on it.

Big woods deer eat when they’re hungry and bed when they’re tired. All the hunting I’ve done in the big woods I’ve never found a dedicated bedding area. In that picture that’s where they’re eating beech nuts, they could bed there as well but that’s definitely where they’re eating.

So they don’t have a dedicated home range or they just don’t go to the same area or hillside to bed down?

Is that 1/3rd of the way up the mountain, on the the leeward side? That’s a Dan Infalt must scout spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I’ve been finding that to be very true, but this deer kept going up the rest seemed to stay on that contour line. The mountain I’m going to tomorrow had a lot of sign last year. I’m going to watch the hill country dvd now maybe It’ll help out.
Thanks for the reminder

• Like 1

So they don’t have a dedicated home range or they just don’t go to the same area or hillside to bed down?

I’ve never noticed any bucks I’ve tracked day after day that Had a dedicated bedding area, usually just lay down when they’re tired I’ve never had one bed anywhere near the same spot day after day.

• Like 1