Newbie needs advice!!

Hank

4 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

Follow the trails to there bedding area.....  Or where trails intersect...   I always scout my new hunting areas in snow...  You learn alot...  Yesterday scouted new spot and found 4 heavily used trails intersect in a thick swamp area coming off mountain. If not this year there will be a stand there next year....

I am planning to do the same this MZ season,i will put some boots on the ground in a few state forests in this area,looking to punch a tag maybe but definitely scout for next bow season.

14 hours ago, Hank said:

Thanks a lot for asking, Grampy. I did went back out both Thursday and Today. I didn't ever see another deer. I have to go on a work trip tomorrow, so my first deer season is over. :< It is ok. I will go back out next year. I will buy a number of trail cameras and do a lot of scouting in Sept - Oct. 

I went out Thursday, It was snowing, windy and foggy. I stayed at the same spot that I saw deer Wed, but never saw anything. The weather was bad. And I have to say that I was a bit scared when the trees started to sway side to side, and I felt I was all alone in that forest.  A couple of times I really wanted to pack up and leave, but decided to stuck it out. I thought that I earned a deer, but never saw anything.

Today, it was great weather. I thought I had to change strategies, so I wanted to do tracking in snow (watched A LOT of youtube last night; there was one reporter in the park and tracked deer in snow for a few minutes and caught up to a herd of deer -- he even interviewed people during tracking. It was unbelievable and frustrating -- knowing that I don't see a thing). I did see a lot of tracks (can't really tell how new they were. Definitely a lot of tracks that I didn't see Thursday). Didn't see a deer, eventually I followed the trail to the same spot I was Wed and Thu. I set up a sit from 2:45 and tried to be as still as possible until 4:35. Never saw anything.

Next to killing your first deer, the best thing you could do is gain experience. You did that! Be proud of that!!  And take what you have learned, and what the deer have taught you, to next season. Where you will be well on your way to that first deer! 

Hank, I find your enthusiasm refreshing, and it will serve you well on your deer hunting journey.

• Thanks 1