My Kid Is Going To Trapping Camp

RTF

This coming weekend at the BSA scout camp in Poestenkill, NY. It's a youth mentoring camp put on by the NY trappers association. I drop him off Friday and pick him up on Monday. He has been waiting all year for this. The DEC issues permits for them to trap out of season for 24 hours.

This coming weekend at the BSA scout camp in Poestenkill, NY. It's a youth mentoring camp put on by the NY trappers association. I drop him off Friday and pick him up on Monday. He has been waiting all year for this. The DEC issues permits for them to trap out of season for 24 hours.

I hope he becomes hooked. Trapping is one of the most satisfying, challenging ways of testing your woodslore and intimate knowledge of wildlife that I have ever come across. When you can read sign and understand animal behavior to the point where you can figure out the exact spot where it will put it's foot, you really have to know your stuff and it is a skill that you can be proud of. It also is an activity that is steeped in American heritage and is one of the outdoor activities that helped to create this country. Also, while the prices of furs go up and down, trapping is a good source of income for a youngster, one that can help him develop the skills of providing for himself a bit and managing some of his own earned money.

I think he is going to have a great time.

Oh ya. He has been out all summer practicing in making dirt sets. He took his course back in April at the Hartwick Rod & Gun Club and got his certificate. Went to the state trappers convention this past Labor Day weekend and had a blast.

• 2 weeks later...