Not the usual crotch horn

cwhite

If that deer was a 3 1/2, he had already gone through 2 active breeding seasons. Dont fool yourself, you will NEVER be able to control genetics in the herd that roams your hunting area. Well, unless you are hunting inside a 10 foot fence. ;)

Cool deer BTW.

I also think that the deer in the original post is a 2 1/2. Just my opinion though.

WNY... don't get me wrong..I totally agree that deer was breeding and there really is no way to control wild roaming deer unless fenced. There was a large 8 that I was after that season but that 4 came by and there was no doubt he was "buying the farm". :) I'm sure his genes were passed on many times. He was actually follwing a doe but didn't make it that far. After looking at the photos again... that deer is 2 1/2.

This buck resides in the Brasher Swamp. Anyone can hunt him because his bedding area is on the state land. The food plot he frequents is on private property though. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a pic of a good buck in North Bangor. Too many yearlings get killed in my neck of the woods to have a decent buck dumb enough to get photographed. I have several nice bucks roaming the state land in Brasher. I may post those pics at the end of season.

I have hunted brasher state land before and was never successful. I now try and avoid state land and hunt private land mostly in the westville area. my uncle bought some land between bangor and brandon a few years ago and we have seen some nice bucks on his property. this year will be the first year since he bought it that anyone will hunt it because he hasn't had the time the last few years. the guy he bought it from owns the adjoining property and claims he see deer there all the time but he only hunts pheasants. and I agree too many people shoot whatever they see and i also feel that jacking is a bigger problem in the area that anyone wants to believe.

I heard from a pretty good source that the ECO's are going to be hitting the Bangor and Westville area pretty hard over the next couple weeks. Especially the little side roads off the Jewitte, Farm to Market and Cooks Corners Roads. Hopefully they will knock down a few jackers!

Good luck this season.

cwhite, Here is a pretty common 1.5 in our area. Granted he is not a foot wide with 6in. tines but he has brows and pretty close to the same total inches as a fork with those features. Next to it is the 2.5 that will let grow another yr. or so. :D just kiddin'

post-1355-0-87360600-1317872687_thumb.jp

post-1355-0-33517100-1317872774_thumb.jp

Dave, that is a beautiful, although very common, yearling buck anywhere. Last year we had a yearling 9 pointer killed in the same food plot my pics came from. I let him walk several times. Antlers are not a good indicator of age but a wild, free roaming buck doesn't normally grow a rack that spreads over a foot with 6"+ times coming off it for its first set of antlers. The little guy you have here only spreads 8-9" with barely 3" tines. Remember he is in velvet so he looks more impressive. I've seen the buck I've posted live and in the flesh and I'm certain that if all the other experts on here saw him live, they would agree with me. The one on the left is a beautiful cull buck.

Edited by cwhite

Dave, that is a beautiful, although very common, yearling buck anywhere. Last year we had a yearling 9 pointer killed in the same food plot my pics came from. I let him walk several times. Antlers are not a good indicator of age but a wild, free roaming buck doesn't normally grow a rack that spreads over a foot with 6"+ times coming off it for its first set of antlers. The little guy you have here only spreads 8-9" with barely 3" tines. Remember he is in velvet so he looks more impressive. I've seen the buck I've posted live and in the flesh and I'm certain that if all the other experts on here saw him live, they would agree with me. The one on the left is a beautiful cull buck.

Don't be too certain.

I passed on a 10 point one time that probably had 14inch mainbeams. All his points were pushing an inch long. It was the weirdest rack ive ever seen. Neighbor shot him the following yr and he was a 12 point with 2 inch tines all the way around. He took the jaw bone to his friend who is a Game Warden and he estimated it to be 2.5 yrs old.

who said I was a deer expert...? And I don't just agree with something because someone says I should. If you didn't want anyone commenting on your post you shouldn't have posted... If you are going to make statements that can be questioned people are going to question them...That buck just doesn't look 3.5 to me and you aren't going to change my mind. Honestly I don't even think its the same buck... thats my opinion. I'm not sure why that bothers you. Other than that.. the pics are nice and he's a cool looking 4 point that I personally wouldn't pull the trigger on.

Edited by nyantler