2/29 Last day grouse and a coyote hunt

I went out with my brother and his brit yesterday for the last day of grouse season and like all of the other times we went out in NY, no grouse or even a shot taken.

Pathetic year hunting grouse in NY state.

I decided to do some coyote hunting at a pc of land on the way home and while I didn't get anything, I did have one coyote come in after a calling duel.

Only he wouldn't come past the creek that was just under 200 yards away between us.

Just kept walking side to side for about 50 yards in each direction, Howling and barking the whole time, but just wouldn't step over that creek.

If I had my pulsar Thermion XP38 scope, I would've taken a poke at it, but all I had is my older spectre thermal and it's sighted in at 50 yards.

The coyote trotted away and on my way out, it decided to start howling again, but I decided to live and let live, as it was getting near midnight and I was tired from walking the woods all day.

That coyote will be taking a dirt nap when I get my new pulsar thermal.

SJC

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Steve D said:

Don't take this wrong but that new pulsar isn't going to make him cross the creek. Hope you get em.

With the new thermal, It won't need to cross the creek.

I didn't mention that I went to use my old Pete Rickards rabbit squealer call and found that the reed + holder were missing.

That mouth call and the E caller has been a good combo for taking down coyotes over the decades.

I bought it at Rickards store in cobleskill.

That bummed me out worse than not getting a shot at the coyote.

SJC

• 3 weeks later...