When did it become normal not to keep supplies at home ?

Nomad

I do not get the I am too busy, have no time or it is not worth the bother. It is really not hard to set up a spot for a few emergency supplies, a corner in a closet, garage or cellar with room enough to place some sturdy shelving along with some decent plastic totes. A proper setup will hold an awful lot of canned and dry goods. A stash of canned goods, cereals, rice, flour, dry milk, dried beans, pasta, dry soup mixes and sugar keep well for long periods and are some of the main ingredients for meal recipes. Utilize these things from time to time for your regular meals and replace, it will never go to waste.

Same deal for a garden, you do not need a huge plot of land to produce a lot of vegetables, one would be surprised at the amount of stuff that can be grown in just big pots. The wife has just a small garden that produces way more than we can use ourselves, we have been using the stuff frozen and canned all winter and still have quite a bit left.

Al

• Like 6

Agree Al . While our shelves aren’t as loaded as in the past , I’d say we could eat 5-6 weeks , and the deer meat would last well beyond. The point is partly to buy on sale and stock up , that way , one it’s cheaper and two we never run out of things . I don’t need six bottles of Italian dressing at one time  , yet I never go “ crap I wanted some to marinate some venison, and we’re  out .” I simply go down stairs and grab one , get down to a couple ,then buy more .

While our gardening is limited to box gardening , it can be rewarding just like providing meat through hunting .  I do find it ironic that so many here plant “ gardens “ for the deer to eat , but none for themselves .

Another point, someone laid  off from work ,that has a month or two,of food at home ( or more ) , will surely find that comforting I’d imagine.

Well off to walk the dog , then try to buy a bit more food for the shelves .

• Like 2