Stand Placement - Woods with Rocky areas

NY Region 3 Trapper

I'm new to bow hunting. I'm using a climbing tree stand. I'm hunting state lands. Scouting has not turned up any great amount of traditional signs yet. With that I have really no idea where to set up. As mentioned it's state land with two moderately used hiking trails that run through the area. The type of land is very rocky meaning some steep slopes with rock ledges. The kind you when you top the area flat usually with alot of browse. Then another ledge. Most have deer trails but nothing that appears to be heavily used. Any suggestions?

First off...I would stay at least 75 yards off of a hiking trail. Do any of these rocky outcroppings converge or funnel down into a low lying area? If so, I would start there. Sometimes you just need to get in a tree and hunt a new area a few times before you really get a handle on where/how the deer are moving. Also, make sure your first few sits are split between mornings and evenings...one time of the time may be way better than the other.

alott of times in state land its hard to find heavilly used trails.Like the corridors on the private land i hunt.You need to find the bedding thats if farr from the hiking trails.deer like to bed on hill sides so keep that in mind when setting up.Funels are key but i know alott of the state land i hunt dont have the funnels that people speak of.You really have to look for deer sign to see the amount they travel through the area.

When picking the tree to set up in find one that has some back drop so you dont stick out like a sore thumb.Maybe a pine tree behind you or something.Some times this can be hard to find with a good shooting lane and on a trail.

I like to ground hunt an area i don't know then when i find a good spot to set up i set in my gps or use reflector tacks to mark a way back to the tree.(i hate the orange surveyer tape and take all that i see back to truck to throw away.)

Patience,scouting and good luck

At the base of the mountain there is large old field from what appears to be an old estate property. Mostly overgrown grass lands. Just inside the woodline there is an area with several rubs that appear in a close circular cluster. Haven't been able to find any other rubs going up the rock cliffs. There are several funnel type areas. Unfortunately, the nicest one has the trail in view. Seems I have alot of work ahead of me. Thanks for the info.