Trophy Mounting in Dutchess County?

Dstone001

I'm hopeful that I'll get my first buck this year. If I do, I want to mount the head.

1) Can someone explain how I should clean/butcher the deer to preserve the head for mounting?

2) Can someone recommend a place in Dutchess county to take the head?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you want to do, a shoulder or neck mount. If you want a shoulder mount, make sure you leave the taxidermist plenty of extra hide to do what he needs to do. I suggest staying a couple inches back from the shoulders to be safe.

I'll give Fox a call, because I don't even know what you guys mean by "cape". :O

(I'm pretty sure, but I'm new at this.)

Field care is important......its a natural product. Dragging hair backwards so you break and bend the fibers and tossing it in a trunk can lead to poor results. The kinder you are and quicker you can cool the hide will lead to best results.

Balling up a warm cape soaked in blood is a poor choice too....hang it in a dry, cool to cold location til you deliver it promptly for the taxidermist to flesh out and salt.