Sketchy Deals?? (Craigslist-ish)

Lawdwaz

I was looking for a dog and didn't want to pay breeder prices.  Saw on online so I emailed them to see if it's still available and if I could drive out to see it.  They had replied back that the dog in the listing had already been sold but that they had previously sold one to a lady who had gone to African on a missionary tour and the dog she bought was having a hard time dealing with the climate.  She now wants to give it up to adoption and that he would try to put me in contact with her.  I was like, ok sure.  Two days later I get an email from a really random address.  I mean instead of your usual [email protected], it was like [email protected].  That was the first flag.  "She" asked me several questions regarding my "potential" as a good owner to her dog.  I answered but red flag number 2 was the timeline.  Based on the events of their stories, she had to have bought the dog and took it with her to Africa right at birth or within a week or two.  Within the same day she replied back and her tone with something along the lines of "Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatevers.  You're good.  Dog is free but you need to pay for shipping."  Red flag number 3.  I decided to trace the header on the email and I was able to go back to a server in Compton California.  Granted that might not be the origin of the email.  It might have gone further back but it's tracks my have been blocked at that location.  I highly doubt it though.  So I stopped communicating with them.  After a couple of days later, they emailed me again like "where's the money?".  That's when I said "what?  you want to play?"  I emailed them back and apologized.  Told them I've been really busy lately and that I haven't had time but I will try to do it soon.  I then called the Internet Crime Bureau.  I told the ICB what's going on and that I'm still stringing them along.  They told me that #1, since I never actually sent any money, no crimes have been committed yet and #2, they don't deal with anything under $10K.  So I said you mean basically if someone said they're going to kill me, I have to wait till they kill me first before I can report it?  They said my analogy was harsh but pretty much, yeah.  In the end, I emailed the crooks back and told them that I was on to them and I've already handed my findings over to LAPD (a lie but I wanted to mess with them) and that they should leave me along.  Never heard from them again.  My GF at the time was a bit devastated because she thought we were going to get a dog so I ended up going to a breeder and ended up paying breeder prices anyway.

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

I was looking for a dog and didn't want to pay breeder prices.  Saw on online so I emailed them to see if it's still available and if I could drive out to see it.  They had replied back that the dog in the listing had already been sold but that they had previously sold one to a lady who had gone to African on a missionary tour and the dog she bought was having a hard time dealing with the climate.  She now wants to give it up to adoption and that he would try to put me in contact with her.  I was like, ok sure.  Two days later I get an email from a really random address.  I mean instead of your usual [email protected], it was like [email protected].  That was the first flag.  "She" asked me several questions regarding my "potential" as a good owner to her dog.  I answered but red flag number 2 was the timeline.  Based on the events of their stories, she had to have bought the dog and took it with her to Africa right at birth or within a week or two.  Within the same day she replied back and her tone with something along the lines of "Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatevers.  You're good.  Dog is free but you need to pay for shipping."  Red flag number 3.  I decided to trace the header on the email and I was able to go back to a server in Compton California.  Granted that might not be the origin of the email.  It might have gone further back but it's tracks my have been blocked at that location.  I highly doubt it though.  So I stopped communicating with them.  After a couple of days later, they emailed me again like "where's the money?".  That's when I said "what?  you want to play?"  I emailed them back and apologized.  Told them I've been really busy lately and that I haven't had time but I will try to do it soon.  I then called the Internet Crime Bureau.  I told the ICB what's going on and that I'm still stringing them along.  They told me that #1, since I never actually sent any money, no crimes have been committed yet and #2, they don't deal with anything under $10K.  So I said you mean basically if someone said they're going to kill me, I have to wait till they kill me first before I can report it?  They said my analogy was harsh but pretty much, yeah.  In the end, I emailed the crooks back and told them that I was on to them and I've already handed my findings over to LAPD (a lie but I wanted to mess with them) and that they should leave me along.  Never heard from them again.  My GF at the time was a bit devastated because she thought we were going to get a dog so I ended up going to a breeder and ended up paying breeder prices anyway.

Good one!!

A few years back I was on this internet forum for hunters in New York.  Some guy named Larry was selling a set of fireplace tools and I wanted to get them as a housewarming gift for my parents. I figured I'd grab the tools, give him the money, and be on my way. 
The guy comes out of the house and introduces himself. We shake hands and start shooting the shit. We got to talking about hunting, and he invited me in to see some of his custom rifles and mounts. The guy had bigger racks just tossed in the corner of his basement than I have seen in the woods. He offered me a beer and I wound up petting his lab for about an hour while we swapped hunting stories.    
Anyway, the guy was a real weirdo.  
Very bald too I bet. Did he at least let you rub his head and see if a genie came out to grant some wishes?

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

• Haha 1