How many would let a buck lay.

noodle one

I remember when I would never let a buck lay in the woods while I went to get help. The first buck that I got back in the late sixties was shot on the other side of the mountain from where my car was parked.It was a very warm Indian summer day and I had on the unform of the day. Woolrich plaid hunting coat and pants rubber boots and of course wool socks and hat.I had my lunch and coffee in my game pouch. I shot this buck at 8:00am that morning and after dressing him out and looking at the way to get him out.. The land that I got this buck I knew very well. I had two chooses, one I could take him across a small stream through 50 yards of woods to a field and then 200 yards to a back road.,and then go get my car. Not me ,I was not going to let this buck lay. Now I took off for over the mountain, By the time I got to my car it was 4:00pm and I was never so happy to see my car.I had dragged the hair off the one side of that buck. Fifty years later I would never do that. Now I have four wheeler and I let all my deer lay where I have dressed them out and go get my atv and i have done this for the last 15 years.The land I hunt is private , I am not the only one who hunts it. Some of the others I know and there are others who I do not. I have permission to ride my ATV on the land any time I want so I could ride it in to hunt if I want to. Where I go in is about a half of a mile from my house and I drive my truck to there and walk in to hunt and if I get one I walk out and go house to get my ATV and come back for my deer. I have never lost one and I have let some very nice buck lay. Sometimes it will take me hour or more to get back and have come back to find someone watching over it for me. To me I don't really care if some one wants it more than me, so be it. It is only a deer and I know that I shot it. This year on the first day I got a nice 8 point with heavy mass and very heavy bases. I am gressing in the 130s. I don't mount any of my deer or show them off,so I just don't care if someone wants it more than me.People ask me about pic. and I don't even do that anymore. Is there anyone on here who feel the same way? I just love to hunt and I don't have to kill something to be happy.

• Like 1

Noodle one- I'm with you on this. I've killed a lot of deer, and dragging them out of the woods doesn't get easier with age. I try to hunt smarter these days, I don't have a problem leaving a deer in the woods once my tag is on it so that I can get help. If somebody really wants it bad enough to drag it a mile, then be my guest. If I really want to find you, I'll just follow the drag mark & blood trail and look for the out-of-breath thief, LOL. Often times now, if I can't get help, I'll just skin & bone the meat out in the woods and make a couple trips with a backpack to get the meat & head/antlers out.