Cold weather layer clothing

I hear a lot of folks talking Under Armor . It it that much better than Rocky , Bolumbia , Nike , etc for wicking away moisture to keep you warm and dry ?

I could care less if it's camo because I would be wearing it under other clothing .

Someone mentioned in another thread that the UA smelled after a while and the Rocky didn't ............

I am not a fan of the compression type of long underwear. Warmth comes from trapping air between layers. From a wicking perspecting it is tough to beat Patagonia's Capilene long underwear. If it is really cold I would layer merino wool long underwear over that. Making sure your sizing is such that your layers fit comfortably.

I am a big fan of UA. Being a athlete there is nothing better. I have used it for years. I actually bought my father a pair for christmas before they started marketing it for hunting. He was very impressed and loves it. It is great for layering, it keeps you from getting all sweaty on the way in to your stand. Wool and synthetic fibers are the best for layering.

I tried some Under Armor and didn't care for the fit . Since the clothing is Polyester and polyester Fleece , how can one be so much better that another . I had an inexpensive polyester camo shirt on with another polyester insulated shirt on over it . I perspired while driving to my location . When I dresses up , I was concerned but my shirt dried out quick .

So , it makes me wonder if sometimes we aren't just paying for NAME .

You are paying for the name but it works pretty well too :)

I just layer up, I seem to have a problem with my feet getting cold, and thats with 800 thinsulate boots? I think I need a good pair of socks.

I found that I couldn't keep my feet warm while on stand too. Until I bought a diferent pair of boots for when I plan on standing a lot. Trapped air and good circulation is key and shoving a extra pair of socks (regardless of tha material) in boots sized for one pair never worked. The boots I wear on stand are a full size larger than the normal ones I wear if I am walking. It has made a worl of difference and the boots are actually the exact same boots I use for both.

I have UA but I just don't like the compression and it seems very expensive for what you are getting. I have had great luck with mil surplus silks and there are lots of sites out there to buy them through. The polyesters are great but online4 sizing for mil surplus can be tough. correst sizing is everything.