browning A-bolt question

I have a browing A-bolt rifle, 30/06. My question is in order to operate the bolt I have to take the safety off to load & unload the rifle, is this normal on browing rifles or am I missing something ? I don't have to do this on my other rifles. This seems very unsafe to me. Any info.on this, thanks.

My uncle has an A-bolt and you do need to take the safety off to load & unload or work the bolt. Older Remington's used to be this way, but since the mid 80's I think their rifles can be loaded & unloaded with the safety on. Winchester's have a 3 position safety as I think newer Ruger's do as well. I don't think it's a real big deal either way if you make sure you have the gun pointed in a safe direction to remove it off safety. Once the bolt is open you are safe for sure.

Having to disengage the safety to unlock the bolt is very common. As Steve said, older Remingtons were that way. Tang safety Ruger 77s are that way. My CZ-550 is that way. This applies to rifles with a rocker-style safety. One notable exception is the mauser style 3 position safety, which is incorporated in the Win M70, Ruger Mark II, and some others.

Simply point the muzzle at the ground, release the safety and open the bolt to clear the action, then empty your magazine.

I understand what you are saying and agree that it is not ideal.. Nevertheless, it is more COMMON than uncommon. Every bolt action .22 rimfire I have ever handled is that way and many other action types have thier idiosyncrasies also. Many guns with exposed hammers require lowering the hammer on a chambered round in certain instances.

Some French military rifles don't even HAVE a safety catch. It all boils down to knowing your firearm and handling it in the safest manner possible in accordance with the design.