Stumpage Prices

LetEmGrow

Just throwing this out there.

Seems stumpage prices have not gone all that high with the demand for lumber.  I have some to log.  Not a lot but some.  It was last walked 7 years ago and they said I was 10 - 15 years out.  But if prices go up then I might take it now.  Anyway, I am hardly an expert on this.  I went through the DEC stumapge reports and seems prices have not gone up as much as I would expect.  Anyone have any insights on this and where stumpage prices may go soon?

Thanks!

Not an expert.

No one knows what the future holds especially in times like these.

I've only been watching prices for the past 6-7 years. I watch northeast timber exchange along with Dec.

A timber/forestry service can or should have done an inventory. With that they can do a growth rate and percentage gain based off tree growth.

Even if prices jump 10% you should have your two figures to compare. Keep in mind prices of everything rise over the years and are likely to rise again(inflation). You will likely make more the longer you wait. How much is the question. That would depend on woodlot size and quality.

I would wait to see after the election. We are either going to keep chugging along or stagnate. Housing is back logged right now along with everything else. They all have to catch up. Once demand catches up prices will stabilize. It seems to me that local prices aren't as greatly effected by housing because of the type of wood we have as the west is. The bumps in prices I saw was after a tariff against canada and a deregulation of moving local "infected" wood and a presidential election ...cause and effect or coincidence...

With that said right now mills are taking almost every species, depending on your woodlot...that might effect the decision..

I look at local paper companies, they log when the forest is mature for their needs. The trees won't go bad growing another decade. 

Edited by Modern hillbilly
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LetEmGrow said:

Just throwing this out there.

Seems stumpage prices have not gone all that high with the demand for lumber.  I have some to log.  Not a lot but some.  It was last walked 7 years ago and they said I was 10 - 15 years out.  But if prices go up then I might take it now.  Anyway, I am hardly an expert on this.  I went through the DEC stumapge reports and seems prices have not gone up as much as I would expect.  Anyone have any insights on this and where stumpage prices may go soon?

Thanks!

We used Corey at Furture Forrest. Highly recommend him!

In many areas of NY people are having their ash trees lumbered before they lose their value due to the emerald ash borer.  I am not sure if that has kept the price of ash low or not.  I have seen a local property which was recently lumbered and the logs have been stacked up in a landing area for well over a month.  Waiting for a better price perhaps?

• Thanks 1