Long Island Pine Barrens Preserve Parking

peteyg

Good morning. I'm new to the site. I've been duck hunting for many years and I'm new to archery hunting.

I hunted upstate this season and was the only one in the group with no success. I live on long island and since I'm off for the next 2 weeks I'd like to try to scout out a spot in the Long Island Pine Barrens Preserve.

I've been looking at some satellite photos, and I'd like to spend the next few days just walking the area.

Are there parking / access points?

Thanks.

Pete

You need an access permit to be on State lands which is free thru the DEC.They also give you a parking permit that you have to display on your dashboard. FYI though......bow season is open through Dec.31st and then the January shotgun lottery season starts on Jan.9th I believe. You may want to wait till February to do some scouting so you dont mess up anybody hunting and also safety reasons with the shotgun season in Jan.

Richz7 is right. You have to go to the check station in Ridge and swap your license for a daily permit! During the week you can get an "archery early out" by calling the day before and requesting a particular parking spot. The DEC has a lot of hoops you have to jump through but it's all to try and control the "hoard" from the five borrows.

there are other opportunities to hunt on Long island via the seasonal pass, some don't require a daily check in. If you are a resident of Suffolk county even more opportunites open up, I have hunted upstate for the past 17 years both bow and rifle and although i do love the Big Woods feel of upstate as far as deer numbers and racks upstate can't compete with long island. not to mention lack of tolls, gas and travel time.

• 1 month later...

seasonal pass from Oct 1st - Oct. 31st

you can hunt Rocky Point, Otis Pike and David Sarnoff Pine barrens

You simply pull up to a numbered parking spot, long as it is not occupied , place seasonal permit on your dashboard and hunt. no daily check in is required to hunt rocky point in Oct.

Edited by Danny