first day wasnt so great

nygooseduster26

hunted with 5 guys yesterday and 120+ decoy spread on the lake only brought in a black duck in nwhich 3 remingtons misfired at the same time and my mossberg stayed true and i dumped him. After picking up and leaving my friend and i decided to do some scouting, we found 2 fields with 200-300 geese in each of them and then only 10 miles away we saw the most beautiful and amazing thing ive ever seen!!! We wattched 20,000+ snow geese vortex into a large field and got sole permission for it and the landowner said that they have been there for 4 days now! gonna have a nice snow goose hunt at some point this week!!!! :)

On our way out town, I saw a bunch of guys out in a cut cornfield with their decoys waiting for some gees to come in. It all sounds like great fun except the snow was coming down, the wind was blowing, the temperature was in the low 20's and the wind-chill was in the low teens or even sub-teens. As we went by in our nice warm car, I couldn't help but remember some of those bitter freezing days on the deer stand when I was questioning my sanity for even being out there. But even the worst days that I can remember were never as bad as the conditions those guys had to be suffering through. We went on into town and bowled 3 games and by the time we came back through, headed for home, the decoys were all gone, the trucks were all gone and I guess the guys got froze out. Now, I've got to say that those were one great bunch of dedicated hunters that certainly put my paltry efforts to shame.

I guess DOC you have never been goose hunting. The best hunting days are when it is snowing and wind is blowing to get them off the lake flying. You get in those blinds and lay down the cold is not all that bad.Watching the birds drop in over your head and then pop up and shoot them just as they lock in is awesome !!!